Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Perfect Sugar Cookie


These sugar cookies are literally the best sugar cookies you will ever put in your mouth. I'm not tooting my own horn or anything, because I didn't make up the recipe on my own. But whatever.
These cookies have both white sugar and brown sugar in them, giving them a slightly crispy outer edge and a perfectly chewy center.
They rock. You should make them.

Awesome Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 sticks Smart Butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg, 1 egg white
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Sanding sugar in whatever color you like (or just use granulated sugar for outer coating)

Cream butter and sugars together, add egg & vanilla. Dump in flour, salt, baking powder & baking soda. Stir until combinded. Scoop out golf ball sized balls using spoon or cookie scoop. Plop each ball in bowl of sanding sugar and smash with your hand lightly. Repeat until dough is gone and put your cookies on greased or lined cookie sheet (I used Silpat baking mat--love it!) Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes.

Makes about 30 cookies.



I made these today with my 10 year old niece and we used several colors of sugar and sprinkles for the outer coating. It's more fun that way.

Adapted from: http://vanillakitchen.blogspot.com/2011/04/perfect-sugar-cookie.html

I can't let a Saturday go by without a cat pic:

Boscoe (right) with Baby (left) in the window box--probably the only feature we will miss when leaving the apartment next month.

2 comments:

Michael Ann said...

I am always in search of a great sugar cookie recipe. This one has brown sugar? They look scrumptious and I will definitely give them a try!

Michael Ann said...

Hi Renee. Did I send you a private email? I wanted you to know I tried these cookies and they are INCREDIBLE!! You are right, they ARE perfect! My family loved them. I have to share this with the readers of my blog. I am posting it tonight and will give you full credit with a link back to your blog! I hope many people will come visit you. Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe!

Michael Ann
http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com