Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Overnight Oats in a Jar



Don't you hate throwing away the jar of peanut butter? Well, don't do it—make this instead. It is a great way to get the last of your peanut butter out of the jar (without having to stick your face or hands in it).

We all know of my love for breakfast. I made my breakfast for today last night, which I'm pretty sure I've never done before.

Enter overnight oats in a jar.

I read a few healthy living blogs, and all those healthy-fied girls rave about oats in a jar. I don’t know why it took me so long to try them (as I go through lots of jars of peanut butter), but I’m glad I tried them today.

Here’s what you need



1/2 c oats (I used old fashioned, but you can also use quick cooking)
3/4-1 c milk (I used almond, and I also used a full cup)
Dash of cinnamon
Drizzle of honey (about 1/2 tbsp)
Empty peanut butter jar (or almond butter)

Put all these ingredients in the jar, shake it up with the top on (or stir it) and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours. I made mine at 9 p.m. last night and left them in there until 7 this morning. They were awesome!

You can either eat them straight out of the fridge or microwave them. I ate the oats cold and really enjoyed the experience. The honey added just enough sweetness and the cinnamon really went well with the peanut butter. The oats were just the right amount of tender, but still had a slight bite to them.

You can play with this recipe a bit. I looked at probably 5 or 6 different recipes out there and modified it to me. Bananas would be great in this, as would canned pumpkin (perfect for Fall). Next time you have an empty jar of PB, give it a try.



On a completely random and unrelated note—is it mushroom season or something? There are mushrooms popping up overnight all over the grounds of our apartment complex. So far, I’m the only dork crouched outside with a camera! But mushrooms are so cool looking. They look like cartoon characters or something. So as not to waste my nerdy pictures, I’ll share some with you today:



2 comments:

SEO Company Los Angeles said...

Ohh, yum! What a cool recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore overnight oats, especially in cute little mason jars! I actually just made three for the rest of this week :) I've tried mixing pumpkin in it, with a little nutmeg and cinnamon; ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I normally just add vanilla and either honey, agave, or maple syrup, depending on what I have (broke college student and athlete). I also made one with PB2 this time and added chia seeds for a nutritional boost. These are great when practice runs late and I have to run to class! (yes people look at you funny eating these in class...but they're just jealous)