Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Crockpot Pork Carnitas (Tacos)



We love taco night in our house. There are so many different ways to make tacos (different meats, corn or flour tortillas, varied toppings, etc.) and they usually come together quickly.
My love for tacos is only matched by my love for Crockpot cookery. How great is it to already have dinner mostly ready when you drag in the door at the end of the day? Love it!

Ok, so here's what you need to get this deliciousness started:



*2- 3 lbs pork shoulder (or another cut if your store only has the most giant pork shoulders imaginable--I used pork butt)
*6 cloves garlic (you know I used my already prepared garlic from the fridge)
*3/4 c chicken broth (or more...I just made sure the meat was covered)
*3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
*Cajun seasoning (original recipe called for adobe seasoning, which I could not find)

Rub your pork with seasoning. Toss in crock with peppers, broth and garlic. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. The recipe called for browning the pork in the pan first, but I did not have time for that this morning, nor did I want to smell like meat all day. Do it if you have time, I guess.

Ok, so after the pork cooks for several hours, break it apart. I just stabbed it with a meat fork and it fell apart. Then when you are ready to put it all together, get a skillet on the stove hot with 1-2 tbsp oil (medium high heat). Then drain the pork and toss it in. This will give it crispy edges and make it taste like authentic carnitas meat (which I think is deep fried).

You can fix your tacos with whatever toppings or sides you want. My husband and I differ in sides and wraps, so I took a pic to show you what we like:



Prepare your tacos however you want and serve with whatever you want. I had mine with rice, beans and corn. Yum!


Pork recipe adapted from : http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/mexican-slow-cooked-pork-carnitas.html

No comments: