Sunday, August 14, 2011

Friendship Tastes Like Cake

Weird title, huh? Well it is finally day 10 for my sourdough starter & I decided to use it to make a cake. Refer to my earlier post to see how to make a starter.



Here's the recipe:

Day 10: Follow the directions below:

1.Pour the entire bag into a nonmetal bowl.
2.Add 1 1/2 cup flour, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1 1/2 cup milk.
3.Measure out 4 separate batters of 1 cup each into 4 1-gallon Ziploc bags.
4.Keep one of the bags for yourself, and give the other bags to 3 friendship along with the recipe.
REMEMBER: If you keep a starter for yourself, you will be baking in 10 days. I'm keeping one starter and thinking of how to adapt it to be a savory bread. More on that later.
Should this recipe not be passed onto a friend on the first day, make sure to tell them which day it is when you present it to them.

Here's my starters ready for sharing:



BAKING INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

2. To the remaining batter in a bowl add the following:

3 eggs (I used 3/4 c Egg Beaters)
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 cup sugar ( I ran out of sugar and used Stevia substitute here)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 boxes instant pudding (I used 2 boxes of chocoalte)

3. Grease 2 large loaf pans-or bundt pan

4. Pour the batter evenly into the pan(s).

5. Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.

I made a quick chocolate glaze using the following:

3 tbsp cocoa, sifted
2 tbsp butter
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3 tbsp hot water

Enjoy a slice!


Recipe & idea from: http://www.friendshipbreadkitchen.com/amish-friendship-bread

No comments: