Monday, February 27, 2012

Blood Orange Pancakes

It's official.  I have a new obsession.
And it is the blood orange.
So awesome~like a grapefruit and an orange hybrid.  
And I love the pretty colors you get when you cut into it.
So, in honor of this magnificent fruit popping up in stores this season, I am dedicating the entire week to blood oranges. 
Naturally, breakfast comes first in this scenario.
Namely, pancakes.
Blood Orange Pancakes

(Your favorite pancake recipe/mix + the juice of one blood orange and a tsp of zest)

Here's my recipe for 1 generous serving:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp butter (or butter substitute)
1/2 cup yogurt (Chobani blood orange yogurt would be cool, but I used plain)
1/4 cup milk (I used almond)
1/2 of a beaten egg
the juice of 1 blood orange (about 2-3 tbsp)
1 tsp of blood orange zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 splenda packet (optional-to cut the tartness)

Mix flour, salt, baking powder in a small bowl.  In another bowl, melt the butter for about 15 seconds in the microwave, then add the yogurt, milk, egg, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla & splenda.  Then incorporate the dry ingredients and combine.
Using a ladle or 1/3 cup measuring cup, spoon the pancake mix into a pan or on a griddle.  Flip when the edges start to bubble.
Top with toasted coconut and syrup.
Perfection.

For more pancake recipes, try my oatmeal protein pancakes or my yogurt short stack.

4 comments:

Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch said...

These look amazing! I bet they are super light and fluffy! I also love how you use the blood orange and it has yogurt added! Delish!

Marina said...

Great post Renee, and a healthy obsession!

Savannah McQueen said...

These look wonderful. I am new to your blog but when I saw these I thought you might want to link them up with my pancake blog hop. Here is the link - http://www.savannahssavorybites.com/2011/09/pumpkin-pancakes-with-buttermilk-syrup.html