Friday, February 17, 2012

Giant (sort of healthy) Peanut Butter, Oatmeal & Chocolate Chip Cookie

 I've been really itching to bake lately.

Well, really I've been itching to eat baked goods, if we are being honest.

And I think we are.

Anyways, I have not been baking lately for two major reasons.  One, I have been on a healthy kick and two, I have been out of butter and eggs.

So when I was at Target this week, I actually remembered to get butter.

But I forgot eggs.

And this recipe only uses one tablespoon of butter.

Where am I going with this?

Well, let's just get down to brass tacks, shall we?

Giant (sort of healthy) Peanut Butter, Oatmeal & Chocolate Chip Cookie
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp reduced fat peanut butter
1/2 tbsp flax seed meal mixed with 2 tbsp water (or just use 2 tbsp of a beaten egg)
5 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oats (I used old fashioned, but quick outs would be good, too)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Mix all this together & form dough on a parchment (or Silpat) lined baking sheet.  You can either form 4-6 little cookies and bake for 10 min or form a giant cookie and bake for 15.  Your call.  Bake in a 350 degree oven.

Makes 4 servings.  This cookie is chewy and hearty.  It would actually be a feat of tummy strength to eat the whole thing.
Intrigued by giant cookies?
Check out my Sock Monkey Cookie

3 comments:

Marina said...

That cookie looks great! I don't like peanut butter, I guess sunflower butter would be good too?

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

This is one giant cookie, Renee! 1 Tbsp of butter - really?? Yumm!

Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch said...

Wow this sucker is huge! Yumm.. I love how you cut back on the butter, looks super tasty!