Friday, February 10, 2012

Family Fridays: Dal

I know this looks like a hot mess on a plate.

Ok, so its deliciousness is not evident to the naked eye.

Don't judge a book by its cover, because this is a super yummy dish.

It comes from my cousin Mary.  I don't actually know her that well, because she always lived on the other side of the country.  Thanks to Facebook, I am getting to know her better.  She is so sweet, creative and hopefully full of more recipes like this one!

Dal is a dish that is popular in South Asian countries comprised of dried lentils, spices and other such yummy-ness.  Yes, I got this info from Wikipedia.  I'm sure it is terribly accurate.

 The dal was piping hot when I was taking pictures of it.  Here's a shot through the steam:
Dal

2 C. red lentils
TbsExtra Virgin Olive Oil
1 yellow onion, chopped fine
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom ( I used curry powder instead)
4 cloves garlic, minced 
4 C. broth
1 1/2 C. chopped tomatoes with juice
1/3 C. chopped fresh cilantro (optional~I didn't use this)
2 Tbs. fresh minced ginger
1 fresh jalapeno, minced
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. salt

Sautee onion in oil until translucent.  Add cumin seeds, cardamom, and garlic.  Stir 2 minutes.  Add broth, tomatoes, lentils, ginger, pepper, turmeric and salt.  Bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes.  
Makes 6 very generous servings.

This dish is meatless, yet full of protein.  It is comforting and filling on a cold winter night.

I served mine with a scoop of brown rice and a pile of roasted broccoli.  Yum!

1 comment:

Marina said...

It is a supper yummy dish just to look at it and read the ingredients! Super!