Wednesday, June 20, 2012

WIAW: Grilled Portobello "Burger"

Hi, people!  Happy first official day of Summer!

I apparently took an unscheduled vacation from the blog (a blog-cation?) last week.  It was just one of those weeks.
I was feeling guilty about not posting, but then I remembered that I blog because I like it.  It's not a job or an obligation, so I guess I shouldn't beat myself up about it too much ;)

On to the food!

Peas and Crayons

Breakfast, Part 1: PB English Muffin

Ok, so I went to take a picture of my half an English muffin with some banana peanut butter (that I ate before my workout) and my camera battery was dead.  It turns on in my purse sometimes ;) I charged it while I was at boot camp.  So, imagine that this plate has half of a toasted PB English muffin!  I grabbed this PB sample at Target this week.  At first, it kind of tasted sort of like artificial banana flavor, but after the first bite, it was pretty good.  Only 110 calories for the whole pouch, so that's not too shabby.  I ate half of the pouch.

Breakfast, Part 2: Spinach Omelet

My second breakfast was a spinach omelet and the other half of the English muffin.  I made my omelet using 1 whole egg, 1 egg white and 1 cup of fresh spinach.  I also had an incredibly fantastic iced coffee using my peanut butter cup coffee!  

Mid Morning Snack: Fruit Smoothie

While I was preparing breakfast and getting my lunch together, I thought I'd make a quick smoothie in a mason jar to pack for my morning snack.  I threw 1/2 a cup of frozen strawberries, 1/2 a frozen banana, 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder & some almond milk in the jar and blended it up.

Lunch: Salad, Carrots, Goldfish & Hummus

I didn't feel like washing my bento box this morning (so lazy!), so I grabbed a sectioned Ziploc container and made a salad.  I like how it has a large section that is perfect for salads!  My salad contained spring mix, fresh corn sliced off the cob, pico de gallo and a leftover, grilled turkey sausage. On the side I had some baby carrots, pretzel Goldfish & Greek hummus.

Afternoon Snack:  Cottage Cheese

My sensible afternoon snack included some Quaker Oat Squares cereal (cinnamon flavor) and a 100 calorie cottage cheese pack with pineapple.  That should hold me over until dinner!

Dinner:  Portobello Burger, Veggie Hash 
For dinner I made some big ole portobello mushroom burgers on the grill.  I love when I get the cross hatch grill marks!  Served with a side of veggie hash, it was such a filling and yummy meal.

Grilled Portobello "Burger"
serves 2

2 portobello mushrooms

Marinade:
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
5 leaves fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried basil), chopped

salt & pepper

Wipe off the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and remove the stems.  Mix the marinade together and pour over the mushrooms.  Let it marinate for about 30 minutes.  Salt and pepper the mushrooms.
Heat grill to medium high heat and grill for about 5 minutes on each side.

The mushrooms kind of have a burger like taste, but the consistency is more mushroom-y.  If you have never tried it, I'd recommend it.

I topped mine with red peppers and goat cheese and served it on a toasted English muffin.  I also served it with a side of veggie hash.

Dessert:  Wine!
I enjoyed a lil' glass of Riesling to top off a good day of eatin'.


Want more?  Check out some more What I Ate Wednesday posts:
WIAW #10 (last week's)

No comments: