Wednesday, June 6, 2012

WIAW: Sensible Snacking & Salmon Steak

Happy mid-week, y'all!  Time for What I Ate Wednesday!
Well, Jenn over at Peas and Crayons challenged everyone to focus on sensible snacking for June WIAW posts.
I actually did not know about said challenge until after I took all these pics of my eats, but I think I nailed it.
We all know I'm good at snacking!
Mostly sensibly ;)
Peas and Crayons

Breakfast, Part 1: Muffin
I actually only ate half of this muffin before 5 a.m. boot camp workout (but I wanted to show you a picture of the full muffin).  It is a Paleo pumpkin-walnut muffin with toasted coconut (leftover from my cupcakes posted Monday).  I slightly modified Tina's recipe from Carrots 'N' Cake (click over there to see it).
Here's the half I ate.  The muffins are really dense and not very sweet (which is not a bad thing at all).

 Breakfast, Part 2: Smoothie and More Muffin
I ate the other half of the muffin, smeared with a little Laughing Cow cinnamon cream cheese, cinnamon coffee with fat free Reddi-wip & a big ole smoothie.  My smoothie contained: 1 cup almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 5 strawberries, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder.  It was so filling and delicious ;)

Mid Morning Snack: Bar
I saw this new bar at Target yesterday and decided to give it a try.  It's pretty tasty.  Kind of gummy in texture with big flakes of toasted coconut.  It is dense and filling, so that's a plus.  I think I'll stick with my Luna bars, but it is always good to try new things!

Lunch: Bento Box of Yum 
I've been really into making my own cutie bento box lunches since I found some very inexpensive boxes at a new farmers' market in town.  Today's lunch contained a salad of spring mix lettuce, steamed asparagus, reduced fat feta cheese, hardboiled egg and a little balsamic vinaigrette (added later).  I also had some watermelon (surprise, surprise) and some cinnamon Teddy Grahams with strawberry cream cheese for dipping (a match made in Heaven).

 Afternoon Snack: Fruit & Nuts
Roasted almonds and mandarin oranges made it in my tummy in the late afternoon.  Gotta make it to dinnertime without getting the crankies!

Dinner: Salmon Steak
Dinner was fresh and summer-y.  I was going to grill this salmon steak, but I got out to the grill and realized we were out of propane (Does anyone else think of Hank Hill when they hear the word propane...and propane accessories?).  So, I whipped out the cast iron and made some magic.

Salmon Steaks
serves 2

2 salmon steaks

Marinade:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar (I used roasted garlic flavor)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine ingredients and marinate the salmon steaks for 30 minutes to an hour.  Season the steaks with salt & pepper.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Start with the cast iron skillet on the stovetop, heat to medium-high heat and add olive oil.  Once pan is smokin' hot, put the salmon in.  Cook until each side is seared (about 3 minutes per side), then put in the oven for another 4 minutes or so.

I enjoyed my steak of salmon with an ear of fresh corn and a tiny, yellow potato that I later seasoned with salt and topped with feta.

Dessert: Fro Yo
Probably my second favorite frozen yogurt was on sale this week for half off!  You better believe I grabbed two cartons.  I actually ate 4 spoonfuls of this standing in the kitchen.  It was quite lazy and unhealthy of me and I apologize.
Ok, I don't.  It was quite delicious.

I spent some time after dinner & dessert concocting a new skinny drink to post over at Endless Simmer.  It's a winner, so be on the look out for it!  **Update: my Skinny Mango Coconut Mojito is posted over at Endless Simmer~check it out.

That about does it for today (food wise anyways).
~~~~~
A little update on that stupid Runners' World running streak challenge.  I crapped out after 5 days!  It's hard to run back to back like that!  Well, I can't feel too bad about it.  I'm still getting my fitness on and trying to sneak some runs in there ;)

Oh, well.  Nobody's perfect ;)

Have a lovely rest of the week!

Want more?  Check out some more What I Ate Wednesday posts:
WIAW #8 (last week's)

1 comment:

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

The salad looks delish! You always have the best looking food!