Monday, June 4, 2012

Mocha Coconut Frappuccino Ice Cream Cupcakes


I’m okay with the fact that these cupcakes are lopsided.
I don’t mind that they are not perfect.

I’m okay with the reality that I went to exercise class with a streak of coffee ice cream down my arm.  No biggie.

It is really alright that I went to the store specifically for a homemade cupcake recipe I carefully concocted only to come home and realize that I was out of cocoa.

It’s actually pretty wonderful, because using a cake mix as a starter is always welcome in my book.

It’s cool, because life is not perfect.  So my cupcakes might not look perfect, but they sure do taste it!

So, you know what happened that inspired this recipe?  Happy hour happened.  I’m not even talking alcoholic happy hour.  I’m talking about that blessed week or two in May when from 3-5 at Starbucks, frappuccinos were half off.  I don’t usually buy fraps, because they are kind of pricey.  Especially when you add extra money for soy milk and extra espresso…

Ok, so I had the mocha coconut frappuccino more than once and have been craving that flavor ever since.

And what could be better than ice cream cake based on a coffee drink?  Ice cream cupcakes based on said drink!  Cupcakes are portion control in a cute little package ;)

Mocha Coconut Frappuccino Ice Cream Cupcakes
makes 6 cupcakes

You will need coffee flavored ice cream or frozen yogurt for the middle of the cupcakes.  I used Haagen-Dazs coffee flavored frozen yogurt.  Soften it on the counter before scooping it into the cupcakes.

for cupcakes:
1 cup devil's food cake mix (I used sugar free)
1/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
1/4 cup toasted sweetened flaked coconut

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray 6 muffin tins with non-stick spray.  Mix these ingredients together and scoop into muffin tins.  Bake for 20 minutes.

for coconut buttercream frosting:
1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature (aaah! I was out of butter, too & used margarine.)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp coconut extract
2-3 Tbsp milk
1/2 cup toasted, sweenened flake coconut for topping

Combine all except coconut.  Smear onto ice cream filled cupcakes & top with coconut flakes.

Assembly: Cut each cupcake in half horizontally, add coffee flavored ice cream or froyo in the middle.  Frost with frosting & top with coconut.  Store in the freezer.

I toasted my coconut in a skillet I sprayed with non-stick spray over medium heat until brown.  Easy peasy.

See, I don't even care that this is the world's worst picture that defies all picture editing.  I just had to show you the ice cream in the middle!


Have a great day, y'all & embrace those imperfections ('cuz sometimes they're delicious)!

No comments: