Friday, November 4, 2011

Fabulous Fall Fridays: Cheddar Peppers



When some people think of Fall, they think football. I’m not one of those people. I could care less about organized sports. Or unorganized sports for that matter.

Well, these cheddar peppers are great football food or just snack food despite my terrible pictures of them!

My husband loves cheddar peppers and has been begging me to make them for a while now.

As a general rule, I don’t like to fry stuff. The popping hot oil scares me. I’m kind of a weenie. Plus, I’ve heard fried food is bad for you or something.

Regardless, you should make these yummy morsels of cheesy fried goodness for the football fans in your life.

Ok, so I’m going to go ahead and apologize for the utter lack of measurements on my part. This was kind of a fly by the seat of my pants recipe.

*Jalapenos (I used 12, but definitely increase the number if you have a crowd)
*Hunk of Velveeta (about the size of a Rubix cube-maybe a little smaller)
*Handful of shredded cheddar
*Squirt of hot sauce (I used sriacha)
*Egg (I used egg substitute-equivalent to 2 eggs)
*Seasoned bread crumbs
*Vegetable oil (or some other kind of oil-whatevs)

Split the jalapenos lengthwise and use your gloved (or Ziploc-ed) hand to scrape out the seeds and ribs and discard.



Melt your Velveeta a bit in the microwave and stir in shredded cheese and hot sauce. Stuff this mixture in each jalapeno, pinching the seam closed.

Dip the peppers in the egg, then bread crumbs and lay them all out for their fry bath.

Get your oil in a large skillet hot. Stick the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil to test and see if it is ready. If bubbles form around the spoon, you are good to go.

Fry the jalapenos in batches until golden brown & place on a paper towel to soak up extra grease.

Serve with ranch dipping sauce (ok, dressing squeezed from the bottle).



My husband’s verdict was that these were better than Sonic’s cheddar peppers which are his favorite. So, I guess it was all worth it :)






No comments: