Friday, April 20, 2012

A Lightened Up Reuben

I love me some grilled sandwiches.  I will make a grilled cheese out of anything (even a Sloppy Joe!).

But, the idea of sauerkraut always kind of freaked me out.  I know it is cabbage, but it makes me think it is going to be sour and ruin my sandwich.

Then something happened.  I got brave.  And bought the tiniest can of sauerkraut I could find (ok, not that brave).

And I totally tested it before putting it on this sandwich.

Sometimes fears and hesitations are just silly and irrational.

Because sauerkraut is kind of an awesome condiment (words I never thought I'd utter). 

I hear that Reuben sandwiches have a reputation for being big, fatty sandwiches that are terrible for you.

But this one is not.  And it is really good!  You should try it.

Light Reuben Grilled Sandwich
serves 1

2 slices rye bread (I used seedless Jewish rye)
2 tsp. fat-free Thousand Island dressing
2 tbsp. sauerkraut, drained 
1 slice reduced fat Swiss cheese
2-3 slices thinly sliced turkey breast
1-2 slices lean corned beef 
2 tsp. light butter spread 

Lay bread slices flat and spread with dressing. Top one slice with sauerkraut, cheese, turkey, and corned beef. Top with the other bread slice, dressing side down. Spread the top of the sandwich with 1 tsp. butter.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Place sandwich in the skillet, buttered side down. Spread the top with remaining 1 tsp. butter.

Cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side, pressing down with a spatula to seal. Enjoy! 

recipe from Hungry Girl

1 comment:

DeeAnna said...

Yuuumm! I love Reuben sandwiches! Great way to lighten it up!