Wednesday, August 1, 2012

WIAW: Down But Not Out

Peas and Crayons
I love when we get a new theme for What I Ate Wednesday!  This theme has to do with summer staples.  You can talk fitness or food.  I'm gonna stick with food today.
My summer staples are salads, fresh fruits and anything grilled!  Also, copious amounts of mojitos, but that's another story.

So, this week has been tough because I hurt my back.  Long story short (ok, it's not that long to begin with), these plank twists were involved.
not a picture of me, in case you were wondering ;)

I usually rock at these, but I slipped and ouch.  I feel like I'm 80.  It's crazy how I took for granted the fact that I could easily bend (and snap!-Legally Blonde...anyone??) and move my bod without any pain. Now, not so much.

Ok, my point here, is that it would be super duper easy to just throw all healthy behaviors out the window when you are laid up on the heating pad all day, but just keep truckin'.

Breakfast: Spinach Omelet & Toast
Needless to say, there was no boot camp for me this morning, as I can barely drive a car.  So just one breakfast for this ol' gal.  I made a spinach omelet with 1 cup of fresh spinach, 1 egg and 1 egg white. I enjoyed it with a side of high fiber toast smeared with fig jelly and a cup of Trop 50 orange juice.  I also had some coffee on the go, but did not take a pic.

Morning Snack: Yogurt & Granola
Yogurt has become a bit of a summer staple for me.  I really like this caramel flavor.  I topped it with a little vanilla almond granola for some crunch.

 Lunch: Garbage Salad
I know it looks like garbage, but this salad was pretty tasty.  I cleaned out the fridge with this one ;)  It contains: leftover bbq pork loin, leftover mixed veggies, the last of the salad mix with some fresh spinach added to it, a super ripe avocado and the last of the feta cheese.
Then a healthy cookie for dessert! 
I was craving oatmeal cookies the other day and found a great recipe at Chelsea Eats Treats.  I modified it a bit.  Here's the recipe:

Caramel Almond Butter Oatmeal Cookies (makes 1 1/2 dozen)
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 cup caramel almond butter (I used MaraNatha brand)
3 egg whites
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Add first five ingredients in a large bowl (through egg whites) and mix until well combined.
Add chocolate chips, and mix just until incorporated.
Spoon cookies out onto parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cookies start to brown on the edges.


After eating, I took my broke back self to the store to stretch and walk around...and this jumped in my cart.
Then I went back to work with a blue mouth.

No time for an afternoon snack today...

Dinner:  Salmon, Quinoa, Artichoke
For dinner I made Asian marinated salmon, quinoa cooked in the rice maker and artichokes.  It was my first time trying a fresh artichoke.  I didn't hate it.  An all around good meal :)

Then I had a gin and tonic and watched Baby the Cat waller around in the sunshine (waller is a word in the South, in case you didn't know).

It had been exactly a week since my last fro yo outing, so off to TCBY to load up on goodness!
I had white chocolate mousse and caramel yogurt with some Oreo, sprinkles, pecans and 2 circus animal cookies.  Oh, and a lone, tiny gummy bear.

Alright, guys.  That's it for food stuff.  Hopefully, I can get myself in gear for a Friday post this week...we shall see.

**UPDATE: My back feels about 50% better today, so yay.

No comments: