Friday, August 3, 2012

The Easiest Bread

Fresh, crusty bread is always welcome in my house.  Well, unless I'm cutting carbs.  Then, keep it away!  Buuuutt, I needed bread on this day.
I have no bread maker or fancy ingredients.  Good thing those things are not required here.  In fact, you don't really need a stand mixer or food processor.  You can just mix the dough with your hands if you like and knead it until it is elastic-y.
That's a word.
In retrospect, I would have brushed this loaf with melted butter and cracked some sea salt on it before I popped it in the oven.  Don't be like me.

The Easiset Bread
makes 1 loaf

2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 packet yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
Olive oil, for greasing
*Optional--melted butter & sea salt for topping

In the bowl of your stand mixer (or food processor, in my case) pour warm water {110-115 degrees} and sprinkle in one packet of rapid rise yeast. Let the yeast bloom for 5 minutes. Grease a large bowl with olive oil.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl measure and mix the flour with the kosher salt.

Stir the flour into the yeast-water until just combined. Using a dough hook, mix until the dough is smooth and tacky.  Or just hit the dough button on the food processor until it forms a ball.

Place the dough ball in the oiled bowl. Place a damp towel (or loose plastic wrap) over top and place the bowl in a warm area to rise for about an hour.

Punch  the dough and form a log of dough on a baking sheet.  *Brush with melted butter and cracked sea salt and slide into an cool, un-preheated oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (while the loaf is in the oven) and set the timer for 30-35 minutes.  The loaf will rise a bit more while the oven is preheating.
Adapted from Simply Scratch


Brie happened.
Wine in my Garfield mug happened.  
Just keeping it classy, folks.

Happy Weekend to ya'!

In case you missed my Endless Simmer posts as of late, check out these bad boys:


No comments: