Wednesday, May 9, 2012

WIAW: Cinnamon Roll Protein Pancakes

Peas and Crayons

It's hump day, again!  Time to see what I put in my belly (yesterday, anyways).

Breakfast Part #1: Watermelon

This is currently my favorite thing about summertime (well, technically pre-summertime, but it feels hot enough around these parts to call it summer).  I had a little less than a cup leftover from the watermelon I pretty much single-handedly consumed on Sunday:


Yeah, I know.  That's such a happy watermelon face. 
Anyways, I ate that tiny cup before 5 a.m. boot camp & I was actually pretty hungry during and after, thus breakfast part #2 in all it's glory...

Breakfast Part #2: Cinnamon Roll Protein Pancakes
You know I'm not going to leave you hanging without a recipe ;)

Cinnamon Roll Protein Pancakes
makes 2 pancakes (1 serving)

1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 egg white
1/4 C almond milk
2 T wheat flour
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
pinch sea salt
1/2 t vanilla

Heat a skillet to medium heat.
While the pan is heating up, in a small bowl, mix all ingredients and whisk.

Combine this stuff in a Ziploc:
1 T melted low cal buttery spread
1 T brown sugar
1 sweetener packet
1 tsp cinnamon
plus, a little flour or protein powder to thicken...and maybe pop it in the freezer to harden up for about 5 minutes

Scoop battter onto griddle (or in pan) and cook for about a minute, then swirl your cinnamon mixture on the pancake using the Ziploc with a cut corner.  You could use a piping bag if you are fancy.

clearly the swirling of a professional

 Cook until bubbles form around the edges, flip and cook on the other side.

I served mine with a Laughing Cow Cinnamon Cream Cheese Wedge and half of a banana, sliced, then I hit it with a little sugar free syrup for added moisture.


Oh, plus I had a big ole mug of this goodness:


Mid Morning Snack: Luna Bar
I munched on this Luna bar before heading out for my lunchtime walk (well, like an hour before, I guess).

Lunch: Sort of Taco Salad
You can't tell from this picture, but there is alot of shredded lettuce under all those toppings!  My salad included shredded lettuce, broccoli, matchstick carrots, little tomatoes, 1/2 cup of leftover taco meat/bean mixture from last night's dinner (93% lean beef, fat free refried beans), a little shredded cheddar and some guacamole as the dressing.
It was super tasty.
Then I had to get my chocolate fix:
dark chocolate egg, ya'll

Afternoon Snack: Carrots 
Ate a couple of these out of the bag (classy) in the late afternoon to stave off hunger til dinner.

Dinner: Salmon Burgers
For dinner I went to cook at my parents' house.  I made us some salmon burgers on bagel thins (with guac, sauteed red onions and goat cheese) and Mom made some homemade, microwave potato chips and broccoli.  So good!  We enjoyed it while watching the new Glee and New Girl.

And of course I got to hang out with these cuties:

Dessert: Fro Yo!
Yum!  Had to hit up Yo Lo and use my $2 off coupon on some frozen yogurt.  I got some caramel flavor and red velvet flavor with a scoop of Oreo topping.  It hit the spot.

And that about does it.  See you on Friday with an awesome recipe :)

**basic protein pancake recipe adapted from Fitnessista

8 comments:

Little Miss Hungry said...

Ooh, I made the super sugary & sinful version of the cinnamon roll pancakes a few weekends ago. I'll hafta try this protein version :)

Anonymous said...

AWESOME pancakes! I might have to whip myself a few. & I love fro-yo as well. Deliciousness.

Kristi @ Sweetly Fit said...

I love that pancake idea!! I have been on the look out for those new laughing cow spreads but haven't spotted them yet. I will have to keep looking so I can try this!

Renee-The Hungry Monster said...

FYI-I found my Laughing Cow cream cheese wedges at Walmart. I'm not that crazy about them, though. They are not very sweet. You could probably get the same effect using some low fat cream cheese and adding some sweetener and Splenda. Thanks for the comments :)

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Things I love about this post:
your watermelon face
you using a ziploc bag to pipe (Im not fancy either)
that yummy chocolate egg
and your puppies.

:)

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri said...

WOW I love all your eats!! I had a Luna bar too! Red Velvet is my favorite fro-yo of all time! PUPS are super cute and I can't get enough of NEW GIRL!!!

Julie said...

I love froyo and have to say that Drake must've stole that Yo Lo name. Hah.

Meg said...

WOW these look so so good. Now I want the naughty ooey gooey cinnabons from the mall