Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Easy Peacock Feather Pillow Tutorial

I read somewhere that the best way to makeover a room inexpensively was to add little details like pillows or accessories.  So, let's make a cute pillow :)

I've been seeing peacock feathers everywhere, lately, so I started sketching some last week and jotting down ideas.  I simplified the feather to a few basic shapes to make a super fun & easy accent pillow.

Supplies you will need for this project are:
  • 2 16 x 16 squares of fabric (I used a basic cotton fabric in a natural finish)
  • 1 14 x 14 pillow or pillow form (found at Hobby Lobby)
  • Paint (fabric paint would be best, but I used acrylic paint)
  • Paint brushes
  • Scissors
  • Thread & sewing machine
  • Peacock feather template (below)
  • Optional-fine tipped Sharpie for details

Start by measuring and cutting your fabric into 16 x 16 squares.  If you use a different sized pillow form for a bigger or differently shaped pillow, you'll need to modify this measurement.

Then print off these simple feather shapes or make your own.



I made copies of them and cut them out to form my composition on one of the 16 x 16 fabric squares.

This is where I made things super simple.
  
You could paint the feathers free handed if you want, but I find that I'm afraid to mess things up when I do that.

So, cut out the outer shape of the feather, lay it down, paint a line around it.
Then cut out the second shape and paint a line around it.  Fill in that space (in the case of these pics, I would be filling mine in with green).
I roughly painted these, so they would have a more rustic, artsy look to them to go with the natural fabric.  Do whatever you feel necessary.

Next, cut out the last little shape (looks like a Star Trek symbol, no?) and paint around it with your middle color (purple in my case) and fill in the middle space.  Then fill in the little shape with another color.

Easy peasy!
Repeat with all feathers and let it dry.  Notice I had cardboard under my fabric.  Very important, as it will bleed through a bit.
I went in after everything dried and did some detail lines with a dark green, fine tipped Sharpie.  This is optional, but I felt like it completed the feathers.  

Then you will take both fabric squares (the painted and plain), face the painted side in and sew up three sides.  Then turn it right side out & slip the pillow form in there.  Sew it up!  You are done :)

I think it turned out cute.  Boscoe seems unimpressed with it, but he's a tough critic.
It's a perfect little accent pillow to add a little fun to your room.

4 comments:

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Oh wow thats so pretty! I cant believe you painted the feathers! Love it!

Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker said...

This looks like so much fun! What a great idea!
Found this on The Sasse Life (and a few others, too) - would love to have you over for a visit!

Kim said...

You were featured!

http://www.thesasselife.com/2012/03/crafty-sasse-wednesday-link-party-31.html

what a great idea!

Daisy Rogers said...

Hi

I really like a lot your peacock feather pillow for decorations of home and the idea is really superb.