Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gift Idea Wednesdays: Reversible Tote Bag



Ok, peeps, there are only 73 days until Christmas (yes, I said "peeps"). So, this is a great gift for a variety of people. It would be great for kids, teens and adults of either gender. You just pick fabrics with a particular person (or type of person) in mind. Kids could carry their toys, pool stuff or Halloween candy in a bag like this. I would carry library books in mine, because I'm nerdy like that.

Just a disclaimer--I am terrible at following written instructions. I don't have the attention span for it, I guess. I made this up as I went along and based it on other sewing projects (trial and error) that I have done in the past. If you need good instructions on a reversible tote, here is a tute for you to follow (tute is blog speak for tutorial--what? Oh, no. I might have made that up).

But, if you are ready for an adventure, sew this cute little bag along with my shoddy pictures and instructions...

Alright, you need this stuff. Plus a sewing machine. And probably pins.


*I did not end up using the striped fabric or the extra houndstooth for this project-that is why they are crossed out in the picture.

I'd say you need about 1/2 a yard of lining and outer fabric.

First, cut your applique pattern out of your fabric chosen for that. I had some houndstooth leftover from a pillow I made. You can choose any shape for your applique: a letter, a circle, another animal-that is up to you. I chose a giraffe, because it is cute, and I know someone who happens to love giraffes ;)

I know this is probably not the right way to do an applique, but whatevs. I just stitched around the shape with yellow embroidery thread. Looks good to me.



Then, you cut your tote fabric. I laid down an Old Navy stuff + save tote I have and cut my fabric based on that. Then, pin and sew your outer and lining fabrics inside out on the sides and bottom.



Once you have those sewn individually, leave the outer fabric inside out and turn the lining fabric right side out and slip it in the outer fabric, like this:



Cut your straps and slide them in upside down, so that when the bag is turned right side out, they will be on the outside. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Well, you'll figure it out. You are smart. And a nice person.
*I cut my straps after putting them on my arm and seeing at what length they felt right. You could also measure based on the other bag's straps (duh, should have done that!).



Make sure your straps are sandwiched in between inside out outer fabric and lining fabric. Pin and sew along the outside, doubling up seams on the straps. You'll need to leave some un-sewn for turning the bag right side out.

This is what it will look like when you turn it right side out. Pin the hole (that you left for turning) and stitch around the top edge to finish it.



I love a bag with split personalities.

This one says, "Hi, I'm smart and carry books in my bag. And I like tall animals."



This one tells people, "Hey, I'm hip and carry art stuff in my bag and have appreciation for birds."



Ok, well I hope everyone has a great day and makes a reversible tote :)

1 comment:

Just Another Blogger said...

I specially love the giraffe!

Found you on Finding New Friends Hop!
Me ----> www.littlecrunchy.com