Friday, January 27, 2012

Family Fridays: Baked Crabby Patties


Yummy, yummy crabby patties.  I had to call them that.  If you have ever watched Spongebob & I'm sure most people have, you tend to use the lingo on the occasion.  This is no exception (although I did not go with the SB spelling.  I just cannot spell things with a "K" that don't actually start with a "K."  Can't do it...).

Sorry, got side tracked a bit.

This recipe comes from my super cool cousin Matt.
He is a classically trained chef and has opened several restaurants in the Destin/Pensacola areas of Florida.  He and his sweet wife, Stephanie, are hardcore yogis and teach yoga in that same area.

Ok, so I couldn't just make crab cakes.  Of course, I had to lighten them up a bit.  So I have two versions here.  Matt's original recipe & my skinny baked crab cakes.

Baked Crabby Patties
(makes 6 patties)

8 oz crab meat
1/4 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used Italian flavored)
2 tbsp fat free mayonnaise
1 egg white
1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
squirt lemon juice
sprinkle of salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin & onion powder

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Mix all ingredients up in a bowl and form patties.  I used a standard biscuit cutter to make sure they were all about the same size.  Then bake on parchment (or Silpat or greased cookie sheet) for 15 minutes.  Then flip them over & bake for about 5 more minutes.


Matt's Crab Cakes

1/2 cup cooked wild rice
1 lb crab meat
1 cup bread crumbs (or more or less)
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt, cumin, cayenne & black pepper
2 egg whites

Mix ingredients, form into patties & refrigerate for half an hour.  Fry in 1 tbsp of oil for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
We served ours with a drizzle of sriracha and a side of homemade baked fries & roasted brussels sprouts.

When I was trying to set up my area to photograph these patties, Baby the Cat (who loves anything crinkly) set up shop on my paper bag background.  I literally had to hold her while taking the pictures, then let her down to enjoy the crinkly bag.  Silly kitty!


If you missed any other Family Friday recipes, here's some to check out:

Thanks, Matt for the crab cake recipe!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

She is beautiful! I know the post is about crab cakes, but I love cats! I don't know if you saw Frank over on my blog! :)

Renee-The Hungry Monster said...

Frank is gorgeous! I love talking cats, too ;)