Wednesday, October 30, 2013

WIAW: Southwestern Meatloaf Burgers


Good Morning! (...or good day or good evening...I have no way of knowing when you are reading this.)

It's been another lovely week of fall weather and activities for this gal.  Looks like this week is going to be warmer, though, so I'll probably hold off on making & eating soups for a couple more days.

Anyways, I shall move on to the food, but be sure and come back Friday for a cute little post I have planned.  I know, it's been a while since I've blogged 3 days in one week!

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

Breakfast: Cheesy Egg Muffin with Jam

My old favorite breakfast is back!  Egg beaters (1/3 cup), some melty Muenster cheese and strawberry jam on a light whole grain English muffin.

Always a winner!


Yum!

A.M. Snack: Fruit & Bar

This snack was all about convenience foods.  No prep work for me!  These grapefruit segments were kind of bitter, being that there was no sugar, but still pretty good and much easier than cutting a grapefruit myself.

Tried this new Fiber One bar..it's actually "for kids" according to the label, but you're only as young as you feel, am I right?

For only a 110 calories, the bar was pretty yummy and satisfying, but sort of on the small side.


I also drank a Lifewater.  This is my favorite flavor!


Lunch: Tuna Melt Wrap, Pretzels, Carrots

After walking the puppies, I whipped up a quick wrap/quesadilla thingy for lunch that included: a light Flat-Out wrap, prepackaged tuna salad in the pouch (90 calorie pouch), cheese and baby spinach.  I just kind of toasted it on the griddle to get the cheese melty.
On the side I had a couple buffalo flavored pretzel thins and baby carrots.

For dessert:


Gosh, I am really promoting the Fiber One brand today (send me free stuff, Fiber One!!!).

Dinner: Southwestern Meatloaf Burger with Sweet Potato & Broccoli

Dinner was kind of an accident.
Yesterday I was having one of those days...
Those days when I run a little behind for exercise because I was chopping peppers and onions.
The kind of day where I put my contacts in my eyes before exercise and I still have pepper juice on my hands and my eyeballs sting like a thousand burning suns.
It was the kind of day, I don't feel like making a meatloaf.  I don't wanna wait for it to cook.
So I kind of formed this mixture into patties...that barely held together.  But tasted pretty great.

Here's what I used:

Southwestern Meatloaf Burgers
makes 8 patties

olive oil
1 diced jalapeno
1/2 diced poblano pepper
1/2 diced red pepper
1/4 diced red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper
1 lb lean ground sirloin
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can corn
1/2 cup low fat cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp egg beaters

Coat a pan in a little olive oil and saute the onion and peppers for 5 minutes, add the garlic in and saute for another 2 minutes.  Dump the pepper mixture into a bowl with all other ingredients and mix well.
Form into patties.  I measured each patty with a 1/2 cup measuring cup.
Cook on the most non-stick surface you can find.  I used my pancake griddle sprayed with non-stick spray.  I guess you could also bake these in the oven, if you want.  Cook until done.

For a mistake, they turned out pretty nicely.  Lots of flavor, indeed!


After dinner, I whipped out a delicious frozen yogurt.


I like Ben & Jerry's fro yo flavors, but they are slightly higher in calories than my favorite Kemp brand of frozen yogurt, so I try to portion them in a cone to control my intake.


This was actually the perfect amount.

Bizzy wants some too!  Sorry, Bizz.  No people food for you!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In case you missed my super rare Monday post: My Favorite Soups & Chilis


Thanks for reading!  Have a lovely rest of the week!

No comments: