Wednesday, October 9, 2013

WIAW: Healthy Squash Gratin


Hey hey hey!  Guess what day it is?  
Actually, you probably already know that it's Wednesday.
I should give you more credit.
But, more importantly...it's What I Ate Wednesday.  
Always an exciting time!

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

As usual, I didn't know the theme for October's WIAWs..even though it was probably the same last year.  So don't expect too many spooky snacks ;)

Breakfast: Eggs, Toast

I have been super not creative in the breakfast department lately.  I need to incorporate some pumpkin into my breakfasts...maybe next week.  On this day I had 1 egg and 1 egg white with a piece of wheat toast.  Coffee on the side.

Snack: Apple & Graham

I love it when apple season rolls around because there are so many varieties at the grocery store.  I picked up this cute little Michigan apple at the store...and I think it's more of a baking apple.  It's not as crisp as a gala or fuji apple.  Still good, though!  I also had a graham cracker square with some crunchy peanut butter alongside my little apple.

Had to fuel up for my walk with this gal:


She's obviously very excited about it.  Ha!

Lunch: Soup & Bread

Yay!  My favorite part of Fall!!  I love making homemade soups.  It's a labor of love..with all the chopping and layering of flavors.
I made my absolute favorite White Bean Soup (<--click for recipe).  I used zucchini in place of the green pepper and mini penne pasta in place of the orzo.
For my bread I made this amazing Cheesy Italian Quick Bread from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life.  It was so perfect!  Like a cheesy, fluffy biscuit.


As if lunch weren't filling enough, we topped it off with some coffee and a pumpkin cookie.


This cookie is a product of some recipe testing I did on Sunday night to try and recreate the Starbucks pumpkin shaped sugar cookie.  I used Martha Stewart's recipe.  I have a few more tweaks to make before they are right.  Also, I didn't have any black icing for the details...so it just looks like an orange blob.  Sigh.

Snack: PB Toast

I seriously needed this toast before my boot camp workout.  It was tough and I'm glad I had the fuel.

Dinner: Tilapia, Squash Gratin, Veggies

For dinner I cooked some quick tilapia with some steamed veggies to accompany the most amazing side dish ever!

When I got home from working out, I got to work on this super delicious squash gratin...it basically was like a mac & cheese without the mac.  And with veggies.  Um, okay.  I guess it was just cheesy veggies.
I modified this recipe from Food Network Magazine (aka the best magazine in existence).

I think I need to make this at least once a week.  It was that good.

Healthy Squash Gratin
serves 4 as a side dish

1 small butternut squash, peeled, cored & cubed (I bought mine already cut up in the produce section)
1 kabocha squash (roundish and green...google it), peeled, cored & cubed
olive oil
1/3 of a yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup broth (I used beef broth, chicken or veggie would work too)
1/2 cup reduced fat half and half
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese 

Microwave your cubed squash for about 3-4 minutes or until fork tender.  
Coat the bottom of a large, oven proof skillet with olive oil and heat to medium heat.
Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, then throw in the garlic for an additional 2 minutes.
Add the squash, salt and pepper and broth and cook until most of the broth is gone.  Add half and half, cheeses, then bread crumbs on the top.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes.

Serve hot!  Yum!


Next time I make this, I'll take a better picture of it...I promise ;)

I was so stuffed from dinner, I thought I could resist trying some cookies I was baking up for my friend's birthday.


I thought wrong!
Good thing a tester cookie has zero calories, right?  Right???
I used this recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I'll leave you with a picture of the world's cutest hot dog!


Happy Wednesday!!!

No comments: