Wednesday, August 14, 2013

WIAW: Clean Eats Mexi-Rice Bowl with Chipotle Lime Chicken



Peas and Crayons

Good Morning!
It's already Wednesday!
Of course, yesterday I was saying, "It's only Tuesday??!!"  Now that we've reached mid week, it's all down hill from here.
Anywho, here's my eats from yesterday if you'd like to take a gander...

Breakfast: Fruit Smoothie & PB Toast

Guys, if I could marry a food, it would totally be peanut butter toast.  So delicious!  I'm such a weird girl ;)
Anyways, had some Skippy crunchy PB on whole wheat toast and a fruit smoothie containing the following: 1 frozen banana, large handful of strawberries, handful of blueberries, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 cup almond milk & one sweetener packet (I use off brand Equal).  A great start to the day!

Morning Snack: Nuts & Orange 

I was ready for my 10:30 snack and had this teensy handful of peanuts two times ;)
After that, I was not quite satisfied and I peeled an orange.
Don't you hate it when your orange peel is like 1/4" thick, making your orange smaller than you thought and kind of dry?  Meh.  



Lunch: Tuna Melt, Carrots, Grapes, Chips

After a quick walk with the dogs, I made some open face tuna melts for lunch with tuna, olive oil reduced fat mayo, dijon mustard, a tomato slice and muenster cheese all on a piece of wheat toast.  On the side were baby carrots, red grapes and a few salt & vinegar chips.
I tried to have a mug of coffee, but the dogs were playing right beside me and totally knocked the whole mug out of my hand.  Meh.

I was pretty satisfied by lunch until about 5 p.m. when my peanut butter toast monster started growling.
I knew on the way home that it was imminent.  I even said on the phone that I was "on the way to my peanut butter toast" instead of "on the way home."  True story.


When I got home, I had my toast and then walked my girl.


Bizzy loooooves walks!
After a 20 minute walk, I headed to my boot camp workout.

Dinner: Clean Eats Mexi-Rice Bowl

This dinner was stellar!  Very flavorful chicken with a little kick, brown rice, black beans and veggies.  So good!  Make it, won't you?

Clean Eats Mexi-Rice Bowl with Chipotle Lime Chicken
makes 4 servings

For the chicken:
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped mushrooms

Add the chicken and mushrooms to a large bowl and season it with the salt, pepper and paprika. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, adobo sauce, lime zest and juice and garlic. Pour it over the chicken and mushrooms and toss to coat.
Cook in a skillet on medium heat until done (8-10 minutes?).

For the rice:
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup black beans (drained & rinsed)
1 cup cooked corn (I cooked an ear of corn in the microwave for 3 minutes, then cut the kernels off)
1 cup cooked broccoli (I steamed mine in the microwave)
1 tbsp cilantro
1 tsp salt

Mix all rice ingredients together with a large spoon.

Serve chicken over rice mixture.  Top with avocado, low-fat sour cream & fresh cilantro.  Yum yum!!

chicken recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is blog

Writing this recipe up makes me look forward to leftovers at lunch!

After dinner, I had a small cone of low fat strawberry frozen yogurt.


Uh oh.  Bizzy spotted it.

Yep.


I don't know what her deal is with ice cream.

Sigh.

Have a lovely week!!

By the way, I only have 2 more days in my 30 Day Self Portrait Challenge on Instagram!  I can't believe I actually finished a photo challenge (well, almost).  Yay!  I might post a little recap here once it's over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The recipe looks awesome! Totes bookmarking it.

Unknown said...

Your recipe sounds wonderful. I only have on comment and it was about your use of artificial sweetener. If you are truly "clean eating" than you need to stop using it. It is nothing but chemicals.