Wednesday, August 28, 2013

What I Ate Wednesday: Fruit & Veggie Goals

Peas and Crayons

Good Morning!!  It's WIAW time!  I'm so glad we are halfway through the week.
Last week, I took a mini vacation, so it's been hard getting back in the swing of things.  Especially healthy things-LOL!  We went camping and rafting on our vacation and did not eat many fruits or veggies..plus due to rain, we didn't get much hiking done either. 

So, now I feel like I am new to this whole eating healthy and exercising thing.  After a few days, though, I'm starting to feel a little back to normal.

My goal for fruits and veggies has always been to get the recommended 5 servings a day.  It is really tough some days, though.  A guideline I like to follow is to eat at least one fruit or veggie at every meal and snack.  Mind you, this does not always happen....but today IT DID!  Hooray!

What's that?
Oh, you want to see pictures from the trip?  I'll give you one.  It's a pretty crazy pic of me! (I'm on the front right.  I am not wearing my glasses and I had just fallen over a bit).


Oh, fun times!  It was my first time white water rafting.  Definitely an experience ;)

Ok, on to the eats!

Breakfast: PB English Muffin

This morning started hectically as I apparently forgot to set the alarm.  I had 20 minutes to get out the door and was starting to lose my cool.  Luckily, my boyfriend made me breakfast and coffee!  Such a wonderful guy!  I ate this whole wheat English muffin with natural peanut butter, banana slices and a honey drizzle.  I also took some coffee on the go.

A.M. Snack: Shake

I had prepared a shake ahead of time and kept it in the fridge.  Such a lovely morning snack & a great way to force myself to eat some fruit!  This one had 1 frozen banana, 1/2 cup frozen cherries, 4 big strawberries, 1 cup almond milk and a scoop of vanilla soy protein powder.

Lunch: Taco Salad

For lunch, we decided it was too hot to walk the dogs, so I put some salads together using some leftovers from Monday night.
I layered the bottom of the bowl with a mixture of zucchini, yellow squash, fresh corn, black beans, lean ground beef and brown rice (that I had made Monday).  On top of that went some chopped romaine lettuce, diced avocado, a drizzle of Greek yogurt ranch dressing and a spoonful of salsa.

Here it is, all mixed up.


 Colorful and healthy!

Lunch dessert:


Fiber One brownie & a giant green tea.


Though we didn't walk the dogs, Reggie & Bizzy played while we ate lunch.  Bizzy passed out on the way home.  She is one tired pup!



P.M. Snack: Peach & Popcorn

For afternoon snack I had grabbed a peach on the way out the door.  My boss buys all these junk food snacks for our little office kitchenette.  He jokingly griped at me that I wasn't eating my quota of snacks.  He is trying to buy healthier snacks, but lord help him he loves a Debbie cake.
Anyways, these 130 calorie packs were back there so I thought I'd pair one with my peach.
It was pretty dang good!
It didn't come with as much popcorn as I usually consume (read: more than I need), but it was a perfect accompaniment to my sweet peach that I sliced.


Then I went to boot camp.  Um, it felt like it was my first time working out...EVER.  Ouch!
I actually had worked out twice since we got back in town, but this was killer.

Mom and I took a walk with Bizzy to stretch our legs afterwards.


Ok, so dinner took me seemingly forever to prepare because my arms were already so sore from push-ups and chest flies.  It physically hurt me to dice this sweet potato...

Dinner: Fish & Veggies

Dinner was some delicious cod that I made by squeezing a bit of lemon juice and hot sauce on the fish to tame the fishiness, along with about 1/2 cup of sour cream (this was for 4 fillets).  Then I lightly breaded the fish in breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan and seared it in some olive oil.  Most of the breading came off, but I just scraped it from the pan and put it on top, because I'm classy like that ;)
I also roasted a giant sweet potato and some Brussels sprouts (for about 25 minutes on 425 degrees).  Yum!

After dinner, I was so excited to read my new magazine (a gift from my guy!):


So many things I want to make!!

I also had a fro yo cone.


Bizzy didn't even bark at me.  She must be growing up!

Have a super fantastic week, all!

No comments: