Friday, June 7, 2013

Baked Sweet Potato Chips...and Nachos

Have you heard of "First World Problems?"  It's basically complaining about stuff that shouldn't matter in the long run.  Like, people have much bigger worries in the world.

But, I gotta say...I've had a couple first world complaints this week.

My shower curtain rod keeps falling down, so every morning I have to put it back up.

My free Pandora radio station plays a 30 second commercial every two songs.

Someone tagged me in an unflattering Facebook photo.

And, the worst of all...

I love nachos, but they make me chunky...aaaand I can't stop eating them!

As an alternative to nachos, I baked some sweet potato chips.  So now my nacho toppings are on vegetables.  Can't go wrong with that!

Solving my first world problems, one sweet potato chip at a time!

Baked Sweet Potato Chips 
makes an undetermined amount of chips

A bunch of sweet potatoes.  I think I used 7 small ones...they were really small, though.
Cooking spray oil
Salt

Using a mandolin slicer (or some sort of slicer where you get even cuts), slice the sweet potatoes very thinly. Pile all the slices in a bowl of water for about 15-20 minutes.  Pat them dry.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray some baking sheets with oil and spread the slices in one layer on the pan.  Spray them with oil and salt them.  Bake for 7 minutes, then take them out and flip them and bake for another 3 minutes or so.
This is kind of a trial and error practice.  Not every chip will turn out perfectly crispy and some might get overdone. It's cool.  Just breathe...

Keep Calm & Make Nachos.

To make the nachos, raid your fridge and pile stuff on the sweet potato chips.

I used:

  • leftover bbq meat
  • black beans
  • corn
  • salsa
  • fresh avocado
  • shredded white cheese
  • crumbled goat cheese
  • sour cream
  • cilantro

Pile everything on the nachos, except the sour cream and cilantro and microwave for 30 seconds, or until cheese is melty.

Try to just eat one.  I dare you.
Nacho idea from Kadee-Cat.

No comments: