Wednesday, December 12, 2012

WIAW: Spinach & Black Bean Enchiladas

What I Ate Wednesday Healthy Holiday Recipes

Yay!  We are halfway through the work week!  And rapidly nearing Christmas (only two weeks from yesterday--eek!).
So, yep.  No transition there.  Let's just talk about food.  It's my favorite.

Breakfast Part I: PB Toast

Before 5 a.m. boot camp, I had my favorite pre-workout snack of peanut butter toast.  I used crunchy PB today.  It was quite special, indeed.

Breakfast Part II: Egg & Muffin
I made an egg using 1 whole egg and one egg white and had a whole wheat English muffin with strawberry preserves.  And coffee, of course.

Morning Snack: Cuties
I got a big bag of Cuties oranges this week.  Loving them so far!

Lunch: Leftover Enchiladas & Broccoli 
I was going to post this recipe on Tuesday, but I got lazy..so since I had leftover spinach & black bean enchiladas for lunch, I'll just give you the recipe right here, right now.


Spinach & Black Bean Enchiladas
serves 4-6

{For the sauce}
2 1/2 cups broth (I used chicken broth)
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder
Salt/pepper

{For the enchiladas}
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz. can corn 
9 oz. frozen spinach, thawed & drained
1 tbsp cilantro paste (or use fresh cilantro) *optional
salt & pepper
3 cups shredded 3 cheese blend (or pepper jack, etc.)
8 whole wheat or flour tortillas

Make the sauce: in a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, 2 tsp. cumin, garlic, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute, whisking. Whisk in broth, bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste, and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine beans, 2 cups cheese, spinach, corn,and cilantro.
Preheat oven to 400.
Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish, and pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom.
Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.
Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese on top.
Bake about 20 minutes.

recipe adapted from The Garden Grazer

Dinner: Sandwich & Veggies
I ran home after work and made a quick tuna sandwich with Swiss cheese on an 80 calorie wheat hamburger bun and some veggies I over steamed in the microwave.  How the heck did I over steam veggies?  Silly, Renee.
Then I dipped 2 gingerbread men into Nutella and headed out the door for a meeting with my lady friends about an upcoming trip we are taking.


My super cool friend laid out some beautiful veggies and hummus, so you know I couldn't resist ;)


Ok, have a great week, all!
Be sure to check out my jalapeno popper popcorn over at Endless Simmer.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum. I love strawberry preserves. When I was younger I would only eat grape jam, because I thought all other flavors were "unnatural" and "wrong." Haha. Oh how *wrong* I was :) All of your food looks great. Happy WIAW!