Wednesday, July 11, 2012

WIAW: Cauliflower "Fried Rice"

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday week.  I know I did!  I totally slacked off blog-wise, but I'm cool with it.

You would think that it would be hard to find the motivation to focus on fitness during summer holiday times, but I find that my desire to wear tank tops and swimsuits has really increased my workouts in frequency and intensity.

My boot camp workout today kicked it into high gear for today's exercise.  Yay, fitness!

Breakfast, Part I: Cereal

I had a handful and a half of Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal before 5 a.m. boot camp this morning.  It was the perfect amount of carbs to fuel my workout.

Breakfast, Part II: Shake
I made a fruity protein smoothie for breakfast today.  In the mix is frozen mango, strawberries, pineapple and banana paired with almond milk and vanilla protein powder.
 It was too thick for the straw though.  I had to use a spoon.

Mid- Morning Snack: Caramel Yogurt with Granola
This caramel yogurt is really good.  I thought it would be weird because Greek yogurt tends to have a tang that I didn't think would go with the sweetness of caramel.  But it works.  I had some Bear Naked banana bread granola mixed in for crunch.

Lunch: Chicken, Berry Salad
Seriously.  Isn't this a pretty salad?  I'm not tooting my own horn here, folks.  I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.  I love the colors!  The salad includes spring mix lettuce, reduced fat feta cheese, blueberries, strawberries, grilled chicken and pecan halves.  I drizzled a little balsamic vinegar before eating.

Snack: Rainier Cherries
Oh, man.  Rainier cherries rock my world.  I also adore sweet, red cherries.  But this variation is firmer with a white-ish flesh.  So sweet and incredibly delicious.

Dinner: Cauliflower "Fried Rice"

I saw this recipe over at Chelsea Eats Treats and immediately added it to my menu.  Yes, I am a nerd and I have a weekly menu.  Get over it.
For someone who is a really big fan of rice, I kind of liked the cauliflower "faux" rice; the texture was very much like rice.  It was a veggie filled meal!
Here's the super simple recipe (in case you don't feel like clicking the link above):

Cauliflower "Fried Rice"
makes 2 generous servings

3 pieces turkey bacon
1 egg
1/2 head of cauliflower
1 bag of steamer veggies (I used fresh, but frozen would also work)
garlic clove, minced
salt
1 tsp Asian sauce (I used "stir fry" sauce)
oil (or butter) for the pan

Cook the bacon in your oiled pan (a wok or a large skillet) until crispy on both sides.  Set aside.  Beat the egg in a small bowl and add to the pan.  Cook until almost done.  Remove from the pan and chop the egg and bacon.
Using a food processor (or some knife skills), chop the cauliflower until rice sized.  Steam the veggies in the microwave.
Add the cauliflower to oiled pan and cook about 5 minutes.  Stir in veggies, egg, bacon and seasonings.

Dessert: Fro Yo
If you know me at all, you know I need frozen yogurt in my life.  Like alot.  I usually eat it at home, but I had to get some self serve with this guy:
My nephew.  He refused to smile.
Anyways, I got some white chocolate mousse fro yo with a little Oreo, Reeses and sprinkles.  Yum!

And there's my day in food.  Have a nice week!  Be sure to pop back in Friday, because I have a super easy and stylish craft on deck :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm your "rice" looks fantastic! Such a great idea. I love it when my smoothies are too thick for a straw! I'm having a journey bar giveaway right now- you should enter:)

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats said...

So glad you liked the cauliflower "fried rice!" It's one of my favorite recipes :)