Friday, April 27, 2012

Healthy Butterscotch Breakfast Muffins

I've just recently discovered that I love love love butterscotch!  Not like old lady hard candy butterscotch, but butterscotch chips and butterscotch pudding.  Seriously awesome.  I even squeezed some butterscotch chips in my quesadilla (which sounds weird, but weirdly worked).
Remember the butterscotch breakfast bread that I teased you with a few weeks ago?
Well, I finally got around to making another batch so I could share the recipe.
This time, though, I made them into muffins and I think they turned out even better!

Butterscotch Breakfast Muffins
makes 7 muffins or 1 loaf 

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 of a ripe banana
1-2 egg whites (I just used 1)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 small box of sugar free, fat free butterscotch pudding mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp almond milk
butterscotch chips for the top, optional

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line muffin pan with liners.
Throw all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with hand mixer (or spoon, whatever) until incorporated.
Using an ice cream scooper, fill the muffin liners about 2/3 or more full.  Top with butterscotch chips, if desired.
Bake for 35 minutes (an hour if using a loaf pan).

I don't want to get into the business of calorie counting and being held accountable for that sort of thing, but I plugged these into the Spark People recipe calculator, and without the butterscotch chips, they were approximately 150 calories per muffin.

If you don't like butterscotch flavor (which is not too powerful here), try a different pudding flavor & let me know how it goes!


I cut the sugar from last time, so they are not so super sweet, but if you want to add more sugar, maybe another 2-4 tbsp would do the trick.
They are really moist and super filling.
Also, I'd recommend smearing them with almond butter.


Happy Friday, all!

1 comment:

KC Coake said...

Those look really yummy! I'm pinning them to try. I love butterscotch also. I recently made some really yummy butterscotch oatmeal bars...so good!!!