Wednesday, February 27, 2013

WIAW: There's a Plan & Bruschetta Turkey Burger

Peas and Crayons

Have you ever had one of those pivotal moments of realization that you are exactly where you are supposed to be?
Well, I had one.
I try to keep it light and fun on the ole bliggity blog, but today, I just want to share something a little personal.
Is that okay?
Well, if it's not, I guess you can stop reading at any time.
It's super easy to just say you regret mistakes in your life.  Decisions you didn't think through.  Times when you didn't look inside your soul and ask if what was happening was right for you.  But I just can't.  Mistakes and poor decisions (with some good sprinkled in there, too) made me who I am today.
There's a plan and it's working itself out.
I was married and now I'm not.  After a yearlong divorce battle, it's finally over and done with.
Most of the time I just took things day by day and was really happy and content, but these last two weeks had me stressed to the max.
So I stopped exercising.  I stopped thinking about what is healthy for my body.  I just couldn't deal.
My weight is about the same, but I feel like crap physically.
Soooo, getting back to it like now!
Get ready for lots of health all up in this site, y'all.
Now, What I Ate Wednesday (and other blog posts, of course) will hopefully reflect a much freer, happier and super productive Renee.
I guess I'm sharing this to say that if you are going through something that seems endless, keep going.  Be true to yourself and all those cliches, because there's a plan.  For real.

Okeedoke.  Let's talk about food, shall we?


Breakfast, Part I: Vita Top
I ate this bran Vita Top before heading out to make my triumphant return to 5 a.m. boot camp.  Unfortunately a train stalled on the tracks.  I waited 20 minutes at that stupid train, then my mom and I headed to the park to do some walking.  Not exactly high impact, but better than nothin'.

 Breakfast, Part II: Eggs & Fruit
I hope the beauty of these berries makes up for my ugly attempt at an omelet ;)  Whatever.  This scramble (that's what we'll call it) contains diced ham, mushrooms, shredded cheddar an Egg Beaters.  Strawberries & blueberries on the side, along with some coffee.

A.M. Snack: Apple & Cheese
My mom told me yesterday that sometimes she is not hungry for a morning snack.  I cannot even fathom that, because by 10:30 I am ravenous.  I guess that's just me.  I'm either not hungry or starving.  There's no in between for this hungry monster ;)  So, I had a snack of a super shiny honeycrisp apple and a cheese wheel.

Lunch: Salad
For lunch today, I had some leftover chicken that I made on Monday, along with leftover broccoli and some almost gone avocado.  Kraft light Asian sesame dressing on top.
Then, some dessert.


P.M. Snack: Hummus & Carrots
Obviously I had more carrots than pictured.  Loving this white bean hummus!

Then I had some time with Jillian.

It's been a while, old friend.

Dinner: Bruschetta Turkey Burger, Sweet Potato & Veg
This meal was easy to throw together & super duper flavorful.  I roasted some sweet potatoes, zucchini and brussels sprouts for about 25-30 minutes in a 425 degree oven.  Then I pattied out some basic turkey burgers and cooked those in the pan.  For the bruschetta topping...

Bruschetta Burger Topping
1 large tomato, diced
1-2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp grated parmesan
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all this together and let it sit for about 20 minutes, drain and serve.  Makes about a cup.

Yum!  So good.
Topped the evening off with some television and the teeniest ice cream sandwich I ever did see.  It's the So Delicious coconut milk mini ice cream sandwiches (90 cals, I think).

Gotsta have my sweets!

Have a great week, everyone!  Thanks for reading :)

3 comments:

takinchances said...

I love everything about this blog post. For realsies!

Grateful you made it through and appreciative of the encouragement!

Renee-The Hungry Monster said...

Thanks so much! That comment just made my day :)
It's hard for me to share personal stuff in real life, let alone on my blog
Have a super day!

Cooking Quidnunc said...

Carrots and hummus is my favorite snack :P