Wednesday, December 5, 2012

WIAW: Eggplant Veggie Burgers

What I Ate Wednesday Healthy Holiday Recipes

Healthy holiday recipes is the new theme for What I Ate Wednesday.  I'm kind of unprepared for this.  I usually am on the first WIAW of the month, because we don't really get advanced warning...so, bear with me ;)

Onward to the food stuff!

Breakfast: Egg Muffin
Confession time: I did NOT go to boot camp this morning.  I really had no excuse, except that I just didn't feel like getting up at 4:40 a.m.  So...yeah.  I made a yummy breakfast of a whole wheat English muffin topped with Canadian bacon and an egg.  Target's Christmas blend coffee on the side.

Morning Snack: Berries
I enjoyed the last half cup of my blueberries (those suckers lasted a while-score!) with some fresh whipped cream for morning snack.

Lunch: Sandwich & Veggies
Lunch was pretty simple today: an open faced roast beef and turkey sandwich (on honey oat bread), veggies & hummus with a teeny wheel of cheese.  Yum!
For dessert, I resisted the urge to buy a Starbucks and had one of these instead:
Saving money & calories #winning

Afternoon Snack: Kind Bar
I ate this bar to hold me over til dinner.  It was really good.  I enjoyed the taste of apricots.

Dinner: Eggplant Veggie Burger
I dunno if you guys remember my Eggplant "Meat"balls from a while back, but my brother has been asking me to make them again ever since.  He suggested I make them into burgers.  He is a genius.  I added even more vegetables to make it a veggie burger.  I also made sweet potato fries and veggies (more veggies!!! eeeee!!!) as sides.

Here's the recipe:

Eggplant Veggie "Burgers"
serves 6

2 medium eggplants (or 1 large)
salt, pepper
olive oil spray
1 egg
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed/drained
1 carrot, shredded
1/4 onion, finely diced
handful of mushrooms, finely diced
garlic clove, minced

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and slice your eggplant (about 1/4" thickness).  Spray the slices with oil and sprinkle with salt.  Roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
Sautee onion, carrot and garlic in a skillet for 5 minutes.
Dump the roasted eggplant into a food processor with other ingredients and combine.  
Divide the dough into 6 patties.  Cook in a skillet coated with olive oil until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.


The night was rounded off with a rousing 4 hour game of Monopoly.
I made a martini, also...
The game was so good, we had to play while eating ;)


Links I feel like sharing today:
Taylor Swift performs Begin Again on Ellen
I love this handmade gift of 5 bean soup from Back to Her Roots
Joy the Baker made some red velvet black & white cookies (awesome)
I feel like I could make these popsicle stick angels--how cute would they be on the tree?!
I made some shortcut gingerbread beignets over on Endless Simmer...go look at them and I'll be your best friend forever.

Ok, have a super fabulous rest of the week!!

No comments: