Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Project Pantry Purge: Tuna Cakes


What a name for a recipe, huh?  Please don't picture a frosted, layered cake that contains tuna.  Think crispy, cheesy savory tuna patties.  That's my jam.
So, I don't know what got into me, but I decided to clean the pantry this past week.  I'm not going to describe this in words.  Pictures are worth a thousand...you know?

Picture before
Progress
Picture after

Ok, I realize it is still quite messy, but I was pretty much over it at this point.  I actually consolidated 4 boxes of Panko bread crumbs and took stock of all my goods.  I also found some Raisinets on their last leg (read: had just expired) and munched on those while sorting...  No mouse poop jokes, please.  They were in a sealed bag.

My goal with Project Pantry Purge is to use up some of the food I have on hand before going to the grocery store again (for a full trip, anyways).  That's hard for me.  I'm the kind of gal that gets down to 1/3 bottle of face wash and then I buy another one...then I use the new one and leave the old one in the shower.  Why do I do this??  So wasteful.

I'm gonna change my silly ways.  Well, my pantry ways.  One thing at a time, people.

Pantry Tuna Cakes
serves 3-4

2 cans tuna, drained
3/4 cup shredded cheese
1/2 box of Italian herb Stovetop stuffing (or whatever flavor...or use 1/2 cup breadcrumbs)
1 egg
2 tbsp mayonnaise
pinch cayenne pepper
salt & pepper
2 tbsp olive oil for cooking

Combine all, except oil, in a bowl.  Use an ice cream scoop and scoop out some of the mixture onto wax or parchment paper.  Flatten with your hand.  Heat the oil on medium high heat and cook those bad boys for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until crispy and browned.
Yum!
Trying to use up freezer stuff, too..hence the tots and asparagus ;)

See y'all for What I Ate Wednesday!








No comments: