Wednesday, October 3, 2012

WIAW: Brown Sugar Turkey Chili

Peas and Crayons

Ok, all this fair/festival food (not to mention dollar beer night) is making my jeans tighter.  I am not a fan.  So, my Fall habits that I'm focusing on this week are more fruits & veggies and less starchy carbs.  Let's see how I did today (actually Tuesday).

Breakfast Part I: Nutri-Grain bar
Ate a quick Nutri-Grain bar before 5 a.m. boot camp.  You gotta have some carb/sugars before a workout like that.  It's chilly out, so I wore pants as you may notice from the pic above.

Breakfast Part II: Scramble
This protein packed breakfast was a winner.  I had 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters scrambled with some frozen spinach and smoked salmon.
Of course, I also had some coffee ;)
Hey, Baby the Cat

Morning Snack: Apple
I am loving apple season!  Had a lovely, delicious gala apple for snack.  Snagged some honey crisps at the store today, so I can't wait to consume them.

Lunch: Bento Box of Goodness
Bringing back the bento lunchbox!  I had some butter lettuce topped with some leftover roasted chicken and sliced avocado.  I enjoyed some baby carrots & strawberries on the side.
As a dressing to my mini "salad," I used a scoop of this hummus.


Afternoon Snack: Trail Mix
Dangit, starchy carbs.  You plague me.  Eh, it was probably a better choice than most, though.  140 cals and possibly whole grains?  Whatever.

Dinner: Brown Sugar Turkey Chili
full of the magical fruit ;) 

My mom made this chili on Monday and shared it with me (sweetest, most awesome-ist mom ever).  It was yummy!  You should make it.

Brown Sugar Turkey Chili
serves 6
1 cup diced onions
2 tbsp mustard
2 tsp chili powder or to taste
1/2 c brown sugar
16 oz tomato sauce
2-15 oz cans of pinto beans
1 lb turkey 93% lean (cook with a little olive oil)
cook the turkey and onion til done, add chili powder, stir in mustard and brown sugar,
add tomato sauce and beans, either put in crock pot for 2-3 hrs on low or simmer for 30 min
and serve.

I hid some spinach under mine.  For the win!
All in all, not too bad.  Definitely going to try and stick to my healthy Fall habits from now on!

Baby & Boscoe say "hi!"
See y'all next time :)

No comments: