Wednesday, October 31, 2012

WIAW: Starve a Fever, Feed a Cold?

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats
Well, hey there.  It is Wednesday again up in this piece.
A Happy Halloween is probably in order ;)
We had an 80's themed Halloween!  I'm in the center as 80's Madonna ;)

Sooo, I got myself a lovely (sarcasm) cold this week.  It's definitely affecting my food mood.  When I'm sick, I either do not want to eat anything at all or I want to eat everything.  I feel like this is one of those "everything" situations.  The problem I'm having is my body or maybe my brain wants candy candy candy!  Good thing I have very little candy in my house!
This week I have been force feeding myself nutritious meals...with a few slip ups.  Like when I convinced myself last night that it was a good thing to eat half a box of Lemonheads because citrus soothes the throat.
Well, let's see how I did yesterday, shall we?

Breakfast: Cream of Wheat
Needless to say, no boot camp this morning.  Walking to the kitchen is a chore when you are sick...so, you know...  I had a bowl of instant Cream of Wheat with some walnuts on it for breakfast.  I wanted Laffy Taffys.

Snack: Apple & Nuts
More protein in the form of almonds and a fruit to boot ;)  I wanted a lollipop.

Lunch: Chicken Chili & Multigrain Crackers 
I had eaten 1/3 of this chili on a potato the night before, so I finished it off for lunch alongside some multigrain crackers and a cheese wedge.  It was fine, but what I really wanted was a box of Nerds.

Candy!!!!
I noshed on 2 squares of this after lunch to try and squelched my sweet tooth....

Snack: Hummus, of course ;)
Look what I found!  A little pod of happiness!  This snack sized hummus/pretzel pod was in the produce section at Target.  Awesome.
 I added some carrots to get some veggies in (there are more under the hummus bowl).  Yum yum!

 On the way home, this happened.
Blue Airhead!!!  Um, yes, I look like death warmed over.  Please ignore that, mmkay?

 Dinner: Soup & Bread
The sugar from my Airhead put a bit more pep in my step, so I headed home to chop some veggies for a homemade veggie, chicken soup & bake some super quick and easy beer bread with bacon and cheddar.
 You heard me.  Want the recipe??
Oh, it is super crusty (in a good way) on the outside and fluffy on the inside.  And it all comes together with no kneading or rise time.

Bacon & Cheddar Beer Bread
serves 8?

12 oz beer (any kind works)
2 2/3 cup self-rising flour
6-8 slices of bacon, cooked & chopped
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
Olive oil

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Mix the beer and flour, then fold in the bacon and cheese.  Oil your pan & spread the mixture in there.  
You can bake in a loaf pan, a deep pie dish or in my case, my brand new dutch oven pan!

If you bake it in a a loaf pan, bake for 55 minutes.  Since the dutch oven made the bread more shallow, I just baked it for 45 minutes.

 So good!!!

Dessert: Pumpkin Pie Yogurt
I found some Yoplait pumpkin pie yogurt at Target (best. place. ever.) this week and it is quite delish.  I topped it with two crushed gingersnaps and some fat free whipped topping.

Hope everyone has a safe & splendiferous Halloween!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling better. I'm always so hungry whenever I'm sick. It's the weirdest thing haha!

Feel better girl!