Monday, July 23, 2012

Healthy & Delicious Zucchini Bread


Is your garden overflowing with zucchini?  I hear that's a thing.  I don't actually have any edible stuff growing in my yard, except for rosemary.  

But, I love reading summer blog posts, because fresh, homegrown zucchini tends to steal the show.  I love zucchini!  Which I'm sure you have noticed (maybe) from these posts:


So, even though I can't walk out the back door and pick some zucchini, I stocked up at the grocery this week to make a few zucchini themed recipes.

This one is very, very good.  It's a flavorful and hearty quick bread that will rock your socks.  If there are any zucchini haters in the house, I assure you that the flavor is undetectable. 

Zucchini Oatmeal Bread
Makes 1 loaf

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs
2 egg whites
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 medium zucchini)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Combine the eggs, applesauce, and vanilla in a bowl and mix until blended. Stir in the zucchini.
Slowly add the dry ingredients just until moistened.
Pour the batter into loaf pan.
Bake for about 1 hour. Cool in pan for 10-20 minutes before removing from pan. 



I'm sure you will see this bread again on Wednesday ;)

No comments: