Wednesday, July 4, 2012

WIAW: Patriotic Protein Pancakes & Fitness

Happy 4th of July to everyone!
It is the first What I Ate Wednesday in July, and it's all about fun, food & fitness.  Just a few of my favorite things ;)
Peas and Crayons
Well, I guess I'll talk a little about my fitness today after I get to the food.  And of course, there will be fun mixed in my day as well.

Breakfast, Part 1: Kind Bar
I'm a huge fan of Kind bars, but rarely buy them.  I'm not really sure why.  They are basically fruit and nut bars held together with honey or chocolate.  This one was really good!  Like a decadent trail mix in a sensible bar.  Oh, I had this before this morning's boot camp workout (it was a doozy).

Breakfast, Part 2: Patriotic Protein Pancakes
I get that these do NOT appear patriotic to the naked eye, but they have blueberries and strawberries in there just for the record.  I enjoyed these pancakes with an iced coffee.  Here's how I made the pancakes, if you are into it:

Patriotic Protein Pancakes (serves 1)
adapted from Carrots N Cake

1/3 cup rolled oats
1 scoop vanilla protein powder 
1 ripe banana
1 egg white
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup blueberries
2 big strawberries, diced

Grind the oats up in a processor.  Mash the banana in a bowl and mix all other ingredients and combine.  Scoop out 3 pancakes on the griddle and cook until brown on both sides.


Berry-licious!

 Snack: Pineapple
Fresh pineapple is the bee's knees, folks.  I enjoyed this stained tupperware full of fresh pineapple for snack.

Lunch: Leftover Pasta Bowl
I threw some leftovers in a container last night for today's lunch.  There is some wheat rotini pasta (maybe 1/2 cup), about 1 cup of broccoli, some grilled chicken and fat free shredded cheddar.  Yum!

Got off early this afternoon and am so working on my tan (FUN)!  Clearly no time for an afternoon snack today...

Dinner:  Genghis Grill
Dinner was a treat!  Went to Genghis Grill & created my own bowl full of veggies, steak & chicken and brown rice.  I also enjoyed some edamame and sake sangria.

*****
Ok, so...fitness.  I could probably talk about fitness almost as much as I talk about food.  It's just a part of my life.  Here's my before & after.
FYI: I did not write that at the bottom!  My trainer did (she posted it on her FB wall).

I am not really big on sharing my weight loss story with lots of people, because I feel like it is a little braggy.  But, long story short, I have lost about 80 lbs over the last few years and in order to keep it off and tone the bod, I work out.
Sorry, I had to throw that in there!

Ok, so here's my week in fitness:

Monday: 30-45 minutes of power walking and/or jogging 
Tuesday: 1 hour boot camp (strength and cardio)
Wednesday: 1 hour fitness class called Fusion Fitness (high intensity dance/cardio class)
Thursday: 1 hour boot camp (strength and cardio)
Friday: sometimes I'll do a lunchtime walk, sometimes I take a day off
Saturday: 1 hr morning cardio (Fusion Fitness) followed by 30 minute Core (abs) class
Sunday: 30 minute walk

This is typical, but sometimes I do more and sometimes I do less.  It just depends on the week.

Alright.  Thanks for letting me share that with you.  I'm thinking I will be less long winded about fitness for future WIAWs ;)

Have a great day!

Still undecided about what to make for Independence Day?  Check out my Favorites for the Fourth post!

No comments: