Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Roasted Poblano, Corn & Chicken Quesadilla

Well, I was trying to think of something witty to say today, but I kind of want to talk about my cats.  That's weird, huh?

It's okay.  I embrace my cat lady-ness.
Oh, Baby & Boscoe.  My little stinkers.

So, my cats are super picky eaters.  They do not like "people food" and will only tolerate chicken flavored soft treats.  I got a sample in their cat food for these Krave crunchy treats, and they actually ate them, which is not like them.  So they must have a new kraving for them (ha!).

Anywho, these treats have turned them into dogs, apparently.  I found the sample treat bag empty and ripped to shreds in the hallway.  Um....really?  So, now treats are under lock & key in our house.

Their love of playing with food is what brought this subject to life.  These silly cats go nuts for corn husks.  They floss their teeth with them and bat them around in a super amusing way.

That's how corn made its way into this super summery quesadilla.  Just for my own amusement.

You should make this dish.  It comes together in a flash and has a great roasted flavor.  If you have never had poblanos before, they are not spicy once the seeds are gone and have a mild taste.  Go for it!

Here's the cast of characters:

Roasted Poblano, Corn & Chicken Quesadilla
Serves 2

4 tortillas (I used Ole's Xtreme Wellness high fiber tortillas)
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)
1 grilled chicken breast (or you could use rotisserie chicken), sliced
1 ear of corn
1 poblano pepper
butter or spray oil for your pan

Roast your poblano over an open flame.  If you have a gas stove, you could use that.  I used a gas grill.    Char it until it is nice and black-ish.  Then go put it in a glass bowl and cover it with plastic wrap for a few minutes (to steam).
Partially cook your corn in the microwave (in the husk) for about 3 minutes.  Peel back the husk and put it on the open flame, turning until nice and charred.
Using your hands or a paper towel, peel the char off the pepper, de-seed and slice.  Cut the corn off the cob.
Assemble your quesadillas with corn, pepper, chicken and cheese.  Butter or oil your pan and cook each side until browned.

Enjoy!

No comments: