Friday, September 9, 2011

Shortcut S'mores Brownies




Ok, confession time. I am a big klutz, especially in the kitchen. I regularly drop whole eggs on the floor and spill flour on my black tennis shoes. Making these s'mores brownies really highlighted this oafish trait of mine. I am still picking melted marshmallows out of my hair. Well, whatever. They were worth it.

I decided to entitle these as shortcut s'mores brownies because I used a mix. You don't have to use a mix, if you don't want to. You are the boss of you.

Here's what I used:


Can you tell I've been shopping at Aldi? They have weird name brands.

Shortcut S'mores Brownies

Graham crackers
Margarine (or butter)
Brownie mix (with eggs and oil-or applesauce and water)
Marshmallows

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (or whatever your brownie mix calls for). Prepare your pan. My mix made a 9x13 pan, but I wanted them thicker, so I used a 11x7 pan. I like to make a sling for my brownies out of parchment paper so I can pull them out of the pan super easy and don't have to wash my pan (yay, laziness!). Here's how I do it:



You just lay a piece of parchment sideways and then layer another piece longways on top of it. Your ingredients will hold them down. If you use parchment, you really don't have to spray it, but you can also use aluminum foil and you would need to spray that.

Okay, so now you blend your graham crackers into crumbs (or you could just buy graham cracker crumbs). I used a food processor, but you could put them in a Ziploc and crush them with a rolling pin if that is your thing.
Melt your margarine or butter in the microwave for a few seconds, then mix it with the crumbs.
I used a little over a cup of graham cracker crumbs and 5 tbsp of butter.

Then press the mix in the pan with super clean hands.



Prepare your brownie mix per the directions on the back of the box (I didn't do this. I made some substitutions, so just go with your gut).
Then, pour it over the graham crust.



Bake for recommended time on the box.

Remove from the oven and cut some marshmallows in half. I started cutting them with a steak knife, then moved on to ripping them in half. Layer them over your hot brownies.



Turn the oven to broil and pop the brownies with halved marshmallows in there. Now, you must pop a squat in front of the oven, because those bad boys brown quickly. Take them out when they look golden and pretty.



Oh, such wonderful layers of goodness...



It's important to be the first to test your baked goods. You gotta make sure they are good, right?



It's probably a good idea to cut these and put them on a serving tray to share with other people outside of your home. Keeping these in the house would be dangerous.


2 comments:

Miranda | Mangoes and Chutney said...

I just saw another recipe for s'mores brownies, so it must be a sign that I have to make these. So yummy! Thank you for linking to Fat Camp Friday. Enjoy your weekend!

KB said...

Looks good.

We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
Simply Delish Saturday