Monday, August 20, 2012

How to Roast a Chicken in the Crockpot

So, I pinned this awesome picture of rotisserie chicken made in a crockpot pretty recently.  Turns out that I had all the ingredients and I decided to give it a go.
rotisserie chicken in the crockpot
above photo, recipe & idea from Busy Mommy
Um, best idea ever.
Roasting a chicken could not possibly be easier or tastier than this.
Aw, I wish I had styled mine as pretty as hers, but you can see the awesomeness in these crappy photos, I'm sure.  
I was nervous leaving the chicken in the crockpot for like 8 hours while I was at work.  I thought it would get all dry and be like the turkey on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.


The opposite happened.  I barely touched it with the knife and it just fell apart with juicy goodness.

Crockpot Roast Chicken

1 roasting chicken (3-4 lbs)
1 Tbsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder 
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 onion (or a whole shallot)


Place spices in a small bowl and stir in water by the teaspoon until a paste forms. Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and place the chicken in, breast side up. Cut an onion in half and put it inside the chicken.

Coat the chicken inside and out with the paste. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours. Make sure the thickest part of the thigh registers at 180 degrees.


1 comment:

Fictional Candy said...

This sounds delicious, I am definitely trying it soon!!