Monday, February 6, 2012

Family Fridays (on a Monday): Mississippi Mud Cake


No, I haven't lost my mind.  I know it is Monday.  The universe did not want me to post this on Friday for some reason.

I misplaced my camera cord and was super busy, so I figured I'd wait until Monday to post.

Not the end of the world, right?

Yes, I'm trying to convince myself right now.  I know you don't care.  You just want some yummy recipes :)

Here's one that comes from my Aunt Norma.

Aunt Norm (as I call her) is one of the best story tellers I know.  I don't mean that in a lying sort of way.  She actually recounts events in a fascinating way.

She has lots of stories to tell, because she loves to travel all over the world.  Her and my Uncle Bob are on a cross country RV trip as we speak.  Um, or as we type.  No, as I type.  Yeah.

So this is her Mississippi Mud Cake that she used to make my cousin Matt on his birthday every year.  My Mom has also made this recipe a time or two.

I don't think either one has desecrated it with heart cookie cutters, though.  That's my contribution.

Mississippi Mud Cake
makes a 9x13 cake

1 cup butter
1/3 cup cocoa
4 eggs
1 cup coconut
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 small jar of marshmallow creme

Combine all ingredients and beat with a mixer.  Bake at 350 degrees in a greased 9x13 dish for about 45 minutes.
When cake is still hot, top with marshmallow cream and cool for about an hour.

Frosting recipe
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup walnuts
6 tbsp milk
1 box confectioners sugar

Stir all of this up and top the cake.  Garnish with walnuts or sprinkles ;)

Cut it into hearts with a cookie cutter before icing if you want.


Thanks, Aunt Norm for the recipe!

5 comments:

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

Hi Renee! These are fabulous! I love this cake. :) I have a surprise for you on my blog :) See you there!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yum! I love the hearts. So pretty!

Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch said...

These look amazing! I love anything with marshmellow creme! You have a very cute blog! I look forward to reading more! I hope you have a wonderful week!

Marina said...

I love the name of the cake, and a cake too, so pretty and delicious! Great post. I am your new follower.

Unknown said...

This looks and sounds amazing yum