Wednesday, March 27, 2013

WIAW: Spring is Here! Brown Rice Risotto with Asparagus & Peas


I have no reason for posting a cat picture other than I just love my cats.  Plus, I got a new couch..and they clearly love it, because that's where they are always cuddled.
They remind me of a yin-yang here, too, even though Boscoe is not that light, it's just the flash.

Anyways, bouncing back from that tangent...it's time for food stuff!
Peas and Crayons

Breakfast, Part I: Vita Top
I enjoyed a naked cran bran Vita top for a pre-boot camp snack.

Breakfast, Part II: Sausage & Eggs
For my protein filled breakfast I had a turkey sausage, spinach and egg scramble.  Plus toast and coffee (not pictured).

I couldn't bring myself to eat the banana that I brought for snack today.  I guess I'm just NOT in a banana mood.

Lunch: Wrap, Carrots, Pretzels
In a skillet, I heated 1/2 a Laughing cow cheese wedge (Swiss) with some roast beef on a light tortilla, then added lettuce.  Carrots, pretzel sticks and hummus on the side.  
Did you notice I got some new paper plates ;)
Lunch dessert happened:
Tall soy chai latte and a silly little chocolate pop.
Empty calories, yes.  But I needs mah treats!

I got hungry later in the afternoon and cut an apple.

After work I accompanied my favorite lady (yes, my mom) to get her some new athletic shoes.  I acted real girly and got some shoes of my own.

Yay, spring shoes!!!!  I can't even tell you the last time I bought shoes.  I'm excited :)

Then, it was dinner time.

Dinner: Brown Rice Risotto with Veggies
I've never heard of anyone making risotto (a creamy rice dish) from brown rice before and started to doubt it could be done, but I did it!  Sort of.  The rice doesn't expand as much as an arborio rice or orzo would, but it is nice and creamy.  And healthy to boot!

Spring is Here! Brown Rice Risotto with Asparagus & Peas
serves 2-3

1-2 tbsp Olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup brown rice
2 cup Chicken broth 
1/4 cup Parmesan 
1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
1/2 cup diced ham
1/2 cup cooked asparagus 
1/2 cup cooked peas
Salt to taste

Heat enough olive oil to coat a sauce pan. Add garlic and cook for a minute or two. 
Pour in the brown rice and stir to coat. Toast rice for 2-3 min. Add 1 cup of chicken broth. Stir occasionally until liquid is absorbed. Add another half cup of broth and repeat. Repeat one more time. 
Remove from heat and stir in all add-ins. 
Serve hot.

Soooooo goooooodd!


I followed dinner with this tiny coconut ice cream sandwich.

I mean, just look at the size of that.  It's ridiculous.

Mmm, nice and frosty.  Just how I like it.

Have a lovely Wednesday, all!


No comments: