Wednesday, January 23, 2013

WIAW: Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs

Just a teaser pic to pull you in.  
Are you on the edge of your seat to see what I ate yesterday??  I think you are.  
It's What I Ate Wednesday time!!!

Peas and Crayons


Breakfast Part 1: PB Toast Crunch
I ate a half a cup of this delightful cereal with some almond milk before heading to 5 a.m. boot camp.  It was pretty good workout fuel.  Then again, I usually have peanut butter toast before a workout ;)

Breakfast Part 2: Egg Scramble & Bagel
For my protein packed breakfast I made Egg Beaters scrambled with some leftover crockpot Asian marinated pork loin (recipe on Friday!) and some fat free cheddar.  Under all that is a wheat bagel thin.  Coffee on the side.

 A.M. Snack: Pear & Cheese
Fruit and cheese is the best snack ever.  That's all I have to say about that.

Lunch: Soup
I grabbed this can of soup before running out the door this morning.  Good thing it was a perfect soup day.  It was decent for 120 calories (for the entire can), but not the best soup ever.  I had a couple Club crackers on the side.
Then I had a diet hot chocolate and a little Kit Kat.


P.M. Snack: Yogurt
Introducing my new favorite snack!  I have been eating Greek yogurt for some time, but this is seriously the bees' knees.  This is the only flavor I've tried (and I buy at least 4 or 5 at a time), but they have lots of flavors.  The strawberry is the perfect amount of sweetness to offset the tang of the yogurt.
Yes, that's how it looks.

So, before I started dinner, my stomach told me I better eat something...fast.

 P.M. Snack #2: Rice Cake
So, I had a caramel rice cake with natural, crunchy peanut butter.
You didn't think I could go a whole day without actual peanut butter, did you?
This is the face I make when eating rice cakes, apparently.


 Dinner: Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs
Look!  Zucchini innards!!
Aaaggghh!  So gooooood!
I added letters to my words just then to express how much you need to make this meal.  Like now.
Here's how it is done:

Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs
serves 3-4 (with leftover meatballs)

Large spaghetti squash, poked with a knife and microwaved for about 8 minutes, then split in half, scoop out the seeds (and discard) and scrape out the "noodles."

For the meatballs:
1 medium zucchini, shredded
4 mushrooms, shredded
1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
1 1/2-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp egg beaters.

Mix it all together in a bowl.  Form into golf ball sized balls.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Get a skillet or dutch oven going on medium heat and add some olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.  Sear the meatballs on both sides (about 2 minutes each side) in batches and remove.  Discard the oil, add the meatballs back to the pan, top with a jar of spaghetti sauce and simmer on low-med for about 15 minutes or until done.
Here's my plate, y'all.

Dessert: Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberry
I got it in my head yesterday that I NEEDED a chocolate covered strawberry.  
So I made some by dipping strawberries in dark chocolate (that I melted over a double boiler with coconut oil).  I actually, seriously, only ate that middle one there.  I guess I was a little over it after getting chocolate all over my white shirt.  Such a Renee thing to do.

See you guys on Friday with Crockpot Challenge meal numero dos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your dinner looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us as well.