Monday, January 7, 2013

Baked Sweet Potato Tots


Eeeee!  It's 2013!  I haven't seen you guys since last year.  It's been way too long.

So, I thought I'd let you know about these healthy nuggets of goodness.

Last night I was waiting on my ride home to get done stringing guitars (normal?) so I could get home and make some healthy shrimp poboy sandwiches.  It was right around dinner time and some sweet/evil soul was making tater tots.

If you know me at all, you know I cannot resist potatoes in any form.  These were just Ore Ida frozen tots, but I started popping them like candy.  Delicious potato candy.  After about 5 tots (Ha! Yeah, we'll go with that) I stopped myself and got inspired to make a healthy tot.


Cool story?  Let's proceed.

Baked Sweet Potato Tots
makes about 25-30 tots

1 large sweet potato
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
salt
garlic powder
non stick spray oil *updated*

Wash the sweet potato, pierce it with a fork and microwave until fork tender.  I put mine in a Ziploc bag and microwaved it for 7 minutes, but it will vary by microwave.
Carefully peel off the skin and mash the sweet potato in a bowl (not too much, though).  Mix in some salt, garlic powder and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Get your coating ready by mixing the bread crumbs with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan and some salt.
Scoop about 1 1/2 tsp of sweet potato mixture into your hand and form a tot shape.  Roll directly in the bread crumb mixture and place on a sprayed baking sheet.  Continue until all tots are formed.  *Spray some cooking spray oil on the breaded tots.  I did this to try and get some color, but it didn't quite happen ;)*
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, turn them on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 7 minutes.

Here's my meal--yum!



4 comments:

takinchances said...

This sounds super awesome! But what exactly is cooking spray and which one would you recommend.

Renee-The Hungry Monster said...

Ha! Sorry :) I got so excited about tots I didn't explain that well. Just non-stick cooking oil spray. I use canola oil spray.

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

YUM!! I want to make these right now. hmmm.. tots!

Unknown said...

I made these tots tonight and they are delicious! I added paprika to the breadcrumbs and didn't use the Parmesan so they took on a spicier flavor. You're right that they don't really get brown, but they taste great regardless. I just featured this on my blog (http://bigcitydreamsbyabby.blogspot.com/2013/11/sweet-potato-tots.html) so I'd love if you would check it out. Thanks for the recipe!