Wednesday, October 17, 2012

WIAW? Zombie Head Brownie Bites

What I Ate Wednesday Someecard
Confession time: I totally blew off What I Ate Wednesday yesterday (I technically post what I ate on Tuesday, FYI).  I did, however, take a picture of my breakfast.
How could I not??  I mean, it was my first successful egg poaching experience.  I modified The Pioneer Woman's eggs Benedict recipe (just to make it a little healthier).  It was soooo good!  And pretty easy, actually.

So, I thought in lieu of posting an actual WIAW post, I would repost the zombie brownie bites I posted on Endless Simmer last week.
Lazy blogging much?

Whatever.  Make these.  They rock.

 

 Eeek!! The zombies have invaded!! Ok, don’t panic.  You probably would already know if they actually invaded and the zombie apocalypse was upon us.  What they have invaded is my thought process as of late. 
 Any fans of The Walking Dead in the house?  I love love love it.  So, since the premiere is on October 14th, I thought I’d celebrate with some zombie treats.  Plus, with Halloween right around the corner, you should probably get crackin’ on making some zombie-themed desserts. If you know anything about zombies (which I didn’t prior to TWD, which I take as the most factual representation..whatever), you know that to kill them, you have to destroy their brains.  For that you will need weapons.  If you follow me on Twitter, you probably saw that due to lack of tiny weapons in the stores I just had to make my own (more on that in a minute). These are like cake pops…except, not on a pop..and they are brownies.  So, they are zombie head brownie bites.  Let’s do this thing.

Zombie Head Brownie Bites

A pan of baked brownies (I used a 9x9) 
Some frosting (I used cream cheese flavor, about 1/3 of the tub)
 Assorted candy melts
 Skull candy mold or ice tray
 Candy eyes Ziploc bags Toothpicks (for smoothing out, detail work)
 Skewer for dipping (or just use a fork)

 Before I go over the steps, I just gotta say.  I love zombies because they are so imperfect.  It’s so much easier to make a textured, sloppy coating of candy melts.  Yay, zombie skin!  (Weirdest thing I’ve ever said?  Me thinks not)

Step 1:  Mix brownies & icing

 
I just used a boxed brownie mix for convenience sake.  Feel free to make your brownies from scratch and impress the hell out of everyone.  So...crumble the brownie up and mix with the icing.  Try not to eat too much of it! (Oh, maybe I was just talking to me, then).

Step 2: Put in a mold and freeze


Here’s the mold I bought.  They had fancy candy molds at Party City for like $4 or so.  I got this li'l ice tray at Dollar Tree, and it worked great.  After I pressed the brownie mixture in there, I domed the back so it looked like the back of a head.  Freeze for 30 minutes or so, just so you don't get brownie crumbs in your candy melts
.
 No poop jokes, please.

Step 3: Make tiny weapons


Google image search the weapons you want and print them out.  Lay the sheet under some parchment paper.  Now melt candy melts and pipe with a Ziploc.  Once they have set, you have some mini weapons with which to kill your zombies. (That grammatically correct sentence was for my brother who is always correcting my prepositional usage.)  To get the weapons off the parchment, slide a big ole knife under them, and they should come up easily.  Be careful, though.  They’re fragile.

Step 4: Time to take a dip


Melt your candy melts per the directions on the bag.  I used a mixture of white, light green, dark green and a teeny bit of black to get a sort of greenish-grey zombie skin color.  Dip those bad boys in there.  I usually dip with a fork, but it wasn’t working out.  So I used a skewer.  The messier the better!

Step 5:  Eyes, hair, weapon application


I like these little candy eyes; they make the zombies look more comical and less terrifying.  I got them at Walmart for super cheap.  For the hair, I used black or yellow candy melts.  To stick the weapon on, use some candy melts like glue and stick it on.  Use red candy melts for blood around head wound.  *Note—I bought food writer markers for face details, but apparently they don’t write on lumpy candy melts.  Don’t waste your money on them.

Step 6: Eat some zombie brownie brains


Nom nom nom.  Now I know why zombies like brains so much!  Tastes like brownies! OK, everyone go watch The Walking Dead on Sunday, and let’s chat about it.  Or just give me a fun fact about zombies right this moment.
I have a thirst for knowledge.
And brains.
 

It might be a little dated since I'm posting this after The Walking Dead premiere...but whatevs.  I really loved the premiere.  I am super excited about the season :)

 

No comments: