Friday, September 23, 2011

Grown-Up Pizza



Let's face it-sometimes being a grown-up sucks. There are so many things you are responsible for it is exhausting just thinking about it.

There are those days when we all long to be a kid again. To have no burdens and have every new thing seem so exciting. That would be cool.

But there are things about being an adult that are awesome, too. Like the fact that you are the boss of you. If you want to have pie before dinner, or even for breakfast, you can do it. You can watch R rated movies, curse and drink beer. And your tastes totally change as you become an adult--like suddenly vegetables taste awesome (most of the time) and you crave things you would never even consider when you were a child.

I don't think you will catch a kid longing for this pizza. It's topped with tangy, zesty Greek flavors and vegetables (not as icky as you may have once thought).

I loved Fridays growing up, because we would have pizza (sometimes take out, sometimes frozen) and watch my favorite set of shows: T.G.I.F. shows on ABC. Remember that? Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, Perfect Strangers. Those kind of shows.

Well, I pretended last night (though Thursday) was a grown-up T.G.I.F. and made Greek pizza, drank beer and watched the line up on NBC (I love Community!). It felt kind of awesome to be an adult with this combo.

To make this pizza, here's what you need (I drew in the stuff I forgot to photograph--it's very lifelike):



Crazy Feta
adapted from How Sweet It Is

1 brick feta (I used reduced fat)
1 jalapeno, cored and finely chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
juice of 1/3 lemon
zest of 1/3 lemon
salt to taste

Greek Pizza
also adapted from How Sweet It Is

Pizza dough (I used Freschetta wheat--found it at Target)
Crazy feta (entire recipe above)
Garlic salt
Olive oil
Dill
3/4 cup mozzarella (I used Veggie Cheese)
1 can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
1 2.5 oz can of kalamata olives, drained
1/4 red onion, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed (I zapped it in the microwave)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare your crazy feta first (crumble with your hands, then mix it all in a bowl). Then pile on the pizza crust: brushing of olive oil, sprinkle of dill, mozzarella, artichokes, olives, onion, peppers, tomato, crazy feta and spinach. Sprinkle it with a little garlic salt. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Slice and enjoy. Serves 4 people (I could seriously only eat two slices and I was hungry--but they are filling slices, piled high with toppings).







No comments: